AUDIENCE SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (ASR)
About the Chicago Humanities Festival
The Chicago Humanities Festival is a non-profit year-round festival of conversations, performances, and experiences.
In our history, we have produced more than 140 programs annually, reaching a live audience of nearly 50,000 adults and 12,000 youth. We have presented over 3,000 outstanding speakers, including: 10 Nobel Laureates; 73 Pulitzer Prize winners; 56 MacArthur “Genius” Fellows; 34 Academy Award, Tony, and Grammy winners; and 18 James Beard Award winners. Our dedicated YouTube channel has had over 4.4 million views. Additional information is available at chicagohumanities.org.
Reporting to the Audience Services Manager, a team of Audience Services Representatives (ASRs) facilitate ticket and membership sales, being the frontline voice of CHF. They provide friendly, welcoming customer service to people of all ages and abilities by email, phone, and virtual chat. They work independently as project leaders and together with their box office peers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide excellent customer service by phone, email, virtual chat, and in person.
- Effectively and accurately provide information regarding our events and membership program.
- Responsible for properly handling transactions for ticket sales, membership, and donations, charging appropriate prices, and following guidelines for free and discounted tickets.
- Carefully maintain customer records using our new custom ticketing system and donor database Raiser’s Edge.
- Fulfill requests for accessible accommodations, which includes captioning, ASL interpretation, audio description, and accessible seating.
- Serve as a chat moderator for virtual events, which includes answering audience questions, reinforcing an inclusive environment, resolving conflict in a professional manner, and removing users from the chat if necessary per CHF’s community guidelines.
- Serve as box office manager at assigned venues for in-person events, which includes interfacing with the public, processing ticket sales on-site, overseeing will call, and training volunteers on ticket scanners.
- Assist administrative staff on projects as assigned.
- Minimum one year experience in theater box office, customer service/hospitality, or call center.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service and enjoy working with the public.
- A professional demeanor with good communication skills.
- Tech-savvy with solid computer, data entry, and database management experience.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
- A demonstrated resourcefulness and independence in problem solving/troubleshooting.
- A demonstrated flexibility and grace under pressure.
- Due to the nature of our events, availability to work weekday evenings and weekends.
- Prior experience with arts or cultural organizations a plus, though not required.
- Prior experience or training in diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility a plus. Be sure to describe your experience in these areas if applicable.
Contract, Hours, and Compensation
This position is paid hourly at $18/hour.
The fall season contract runs approximately August 2 through November 30, 2021.
For a total of 20 hours per week, ASRs work a predefined schedule that includes:
• daytime hours Monday-Friday
• some evening hours Monday-Friday and some weekend days, based on event schedule
This role will work in our Chicago River North office. Proof of being fully vaccinated with the covid-19 vaccine will be required of CHF employees, barring a medical or religious exemption.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
The Festival is committed to providing a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, where all employees and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feels valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our departments, programs, and policies. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.
Email the following materials to Brittany Pyle, Director of Production and Audience Experience, at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2021.
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 2-3 professional references
Due to the high volume of applications, please format subject lines as shown below:
2021 Fall ASR Application: [Your Name]
[Example] 2021 Fall ASR Application: Jane Smith
Candidates who are selected for an interview will be notified via email.
We look forward to reviewing your materials.
Email applications only. No phone calls please.