Audience Services Assistant
TimeLine Theatre Company, recipient of the 2016 MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, is a Chicago not-for-profit theatre company with an annual budget that will exceed $2 million in 2019-20. Through 22 seasons dedicated to presenting stories that explore today’s social and political issues through the lens of the past, the company has garnered more than 50 awards for artistic excellence and business management. Now TimeLine is preparing for our next chapter: establishing a new home by renovating a historic building in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood.
About the Position
If you are hired as the Audience Services Assistant at TimeLine Theatre, you will enjoy a part-time (25-29 hours/week), non-exempt, hourly schedule. While working Tuesday through Friday, 11:45am—6:00pm, you will be responsible for providing excellent customer service to our patrons in person and over the phone. You will report directly to the Audience Services Manager, but will work intimately with many other departments and facets of TimeLine.
- Act as the primary communicator between the organization and patrons by responding to incoming calls, voicemails and emails.
- Maintain regular box office hours to process phone, mail, internet, and walk-up ticket orders, including single ticket sales, subscription sales, subscriber reservations and exchanges.
- Prepare appropriate box office deposits at conclusion of each shift, reconciling any open issues and communicating any specific challenges.
- Establish strong working knowledge of TimeLine’s databases and develop, maintain, and use queries to pull lists for various administrative needs such as mailings, reporting and analysis.
- With Audience Services Manager, establish strong working knowledge of ADA guidelines in support of TimeLine’s Accessibility goals.
- With the Audience Services Manager, provide leadership to the Front of House team.
- Act as primary point of contact for facilitating and processing Group Sales.
- Fulfill gift certificate and ticket donation requests from other non-profit organizations.
- Assist with subscriber relationship management.
- Assist with the fulfillment of mailings and other patron correspondence.
- Provide a welcoming presence as the first point-of-contact to guests.
- Monitor the front door to our home space at Wellington Avenue.
- Assist with patron issue resolutions.
- Other Audience Services and Marketing projects, as assigned.
- Year-round, part-time hourly position
- $14.00 per hour
- Paid time off including vacation/sick time
- 25-29 hours/week
- 1-2 years prior experience performing high volume customer service-related work.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, especially with a PC, Microsoft Office, and Google Drive.
- Experience with database use and management, preferably a ticketing or donations-based system. Specific experience with PatronManager is a plus.
- Experience working for a not-for-profit arts organization or in arts administration is a plus.
- You have demonstrated the ability to thrive and multi-task in a fast-paced, high energy environment.
- You enjoy working independently, assume responsibility, and take initiative using good judgment and strong attention to detail.
- You maintain a calm, professional demeanor in all public-facing situations.
- You can effectively identify and communicate issues or problems to your team.
- You are punctual and have a strong track record of showing up.
- You are curious and inquisitive.
- You have a drive not just to complete your own projects and work, but also to participate in organization-wide collaboration. You are positive and forward-thinking.
- Finally, Staff members at TimeLine Theatre Company share the core values of the organization. We hope you will be excited by the following:
COLLABORATIVE: Valuing teamwork as a creative force
EXCEPTIONAL: Demanding excellence and innovation in everything we do
FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE: Managing resources effectively and appropriately
INCLUSIVE: Embracing diversity in all its forms
INTIMATE: Creating a close connection between art and audience
RESPECTFUL: Listening and being open to everyone’s perspective
Apply for this position if you are interested in deepening your knowledge of arts management at an award-winning theatre while supporting the theatre’s goal of being one of the best customer experiences in Chicago theatre.
We are aiming for a start date of Monday, December 16.
It is an essential practice of TimeLine Theatre Company to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, based upon personal capabilities and qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or ancestry, marital status, citizenship, disability, military status, creed, or any other trait or characteristic protected by law. TimeLine Theatre Company is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse staff and an inclusive work environment. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to policies and procedures relating to all terms and conditions of employment at TimeLine Theatre.
- Please email a 1-page cover letter and a 1-page, up-to-date resume (PDF preferred for both documents). Your email should be to the attention of Kellyn Henthorn, Audience Services Manager, at HR@timelinetheatre.com with the subject line of your email, “Audience Services Assistant position.”
- Please include where you found out this job posting in your cover letter.
- Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, December 3.
- We will reach out to you whether or not you are called in for interviews. Please no phone calls. If you do have questions about your application, please email us at the above address.