Associate Technical Director
Lookingglass Theatre Company, a nationally recognized ensemble theatre company located in Chicago Illinois, seeks an experienced and enthusiastic Associate Technical Director. Lookingglass Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
The Associate Technical Director works closely with and assists the Technical Director with budgeting, technical drawings, construction, load ins, strikes, and maintenance of Lookingglass’ 3-4 show season, as well as institutional projects. The Associate Technical Director Work with designers, directors and other LTC team members to ensure the safe realization of each production within budget, on time, and to the highest standards.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- With the Technical Director, create production related paperwork including, but not limited to per show calendars, construction drawings, budget tracking reports, and labor reports such as:
- Log all receipts in accounting system and prepare weekly reports to Company Manager
- Schedule labor as needed for construction, load-in, strike and other such projects
- Estimate and order materials needed per show including the management of shipping, freight and local deliveries
- Maintain LTC’s audience seating configuration and produce drawings for City approval with Production Manager’s oversite
- Supervise and lead crews in implementation and installation of audience seating reconfiguration, as well as during changeover and tech.
- Assist in the construction of scenery as needed. With Technical Director, supervise and review craftsmanship of scenery, educate carpenters on correct carpentry techniques, and troubleshoot corrections/change orders
- Attend production meetings and technical rehearsals as assigned by the Technical Director and Production Manager
- Coordinate LTC shop rental agreements and invoices in conjunction with Lookingglass’s build schedule
- Assist the Technical Director with the management, improvement, and maintenance of LTC’s 12,000 sqf scene shop and tools therein
- Assist the Technical Director with the maintenance and production department usage of the Lookingglass shop van
- BA/BFA with emphasis in technical direction and 2 years related experience and/or applicable real world experience
- Strong AutoCAD drafting skills, including 3D
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Valid Driver’s license and ability to drive a large cargo van and a 24’ box truck
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, work at height and climb stairs repeatedly
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 3+ or more years of experience in a leadership position
- Strong Knowledge of rigging and safe rigging practices
- Significant experience in scenic construction, including metal working
- Knowledge of scenery automation and mechanics
- Strong desire to promote, maintain and improve Lookingglass Safety culture
- Good written and verbal communication
- Excellent time management skills
This position is full-time exempt with a salary range of $38,000-$41,000. Benefit package includes health insurance, vision, generous vacation and paid holidays. Position is regularly required to work evenings and weekends.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include ASSOCIATE TD in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through July 31, 2019. No phone calls please.