Associate Properties Director | Steppenwolf Theatre Compant
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Associate Properties Director.
This position collaborates with the Properties Director and additional Associate Properties Director and works as part of the properties team providing rehearsal and show props, loading shows in and out of the theatre, attending technical rehearsals, working within a budget, reporting expenses, archiving shows, maintaining a safe and clean work environment, and keeping prop storage areas tidy and organized. The position requires a wide variety of skills including carpentry, sewing, upholstery, painting, and strong computer skills.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills/traits:
- 5 years of professional experience working in props and an understanding of historical periods and style
- Strong time management and organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Knowledge of safety equipment and standards in a props shop
- Ability to work with a variety of artists in high pressure situations
- Willingness to remain flexible in an environment of ever-changing priorities
- Some supervisory experience
- Proficiency in Photoshop and Microsoft Office (required)
- Sewing, upholstery, painting, light carpentry, crafts, set dressing
- The physical ability to work on a computer and on one’s feet for long hours, to work on ladders and lifts occasionally, to lift furniture, boxes, and other items weighing over 25 pounds.
- Willingness to work more than 40 hours per week when necessary.
- Act as a liaison between Steppenwolf and vendors, guest artists, prop renters and between the Props Department and other departments in the theatre.
- Be the point person for the Props Department on half of the shows each season, while the other Associate Properties Director is the point person for the other half of the shows. This means working with the Properties Director to determine priorities each day to support all the shows, supervise other team members to accomplish those tasks, and help train apprentices and interns.
- Research, shop online and in person, email frequently, track departmental spending, digitally create or modify paper props, use several different types of materials and techniques for crafting or adapting props
- Coordinate all properties rentals to other companies with the Properties Director
- Must have a current, valid driver's license, clean driving record, their own car, and the ability to drive company vans. This is a scene shop based position but regularly works in other Steppenwolf locations such as the rehearsal hall, theatre, and at various vendors all across Chicagoland.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is the nation’s premier ensemble theater. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors and playwrights. Thrilling and powerful productions from Balm in Gilead to August: Osage County—and accolades that include the National Medal of Arts and 12 Tony Awards— have made the theater legendary. Steppenwolf produces hundreds of performances and events annually in its three spaces: the 515-seat Downstairs Theatre, the 299-seat Upstairs Theatre and the 80-seat 1700 Theatre. Artistic programming includes a seven-play season; a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season; Visiting Company engagements; and LookOut, a multigenre performances series. Education initiatives include the nationally recognized work of Steppenwolf for Young Adults, which engages 15,000 participants annually from Chicago’s diverse communities; the esteemed School at Steppenwolf; and Professional Leadership Programs. While firmly grounded in the Chicago community, nearly 40 original Steppenwolf productions have enjoyed success both nationally and internationally, including Broadway, Off-Broadway, London, Sydney, Galway and Dublin. Anna D. Shapiro is the Artistic Director and David Schmitz is the Executive Director.
For additional information, visit steppenwolf.org, facebook.com/steppenwolftheatre, twitter.com/steppenwolfthtr and instagram.com/steppenwolfthtr.
This is a non-exempt position. Salary Range is $40,000-$42,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program, comp tickets, and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by November 1, 2019. This position has an estimated start date of on or about December 1, 2019.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE