Assistant Technical Director
JOB TITLE: Assistant Technical Director
REPORTS TO: Technical Director and Assoc. Technical Director
START DATE: Negotiable
The Goodman Theatre seeks an Assistant Technical Director to be an integral part of the production staff. This individual will work with directors, designers, and our experienced staff on an eight (8) show season, our annual production of A Christmas Carol, New Stages Festival, special events, and rentals at the Goodman Theatre.
Applicants should have three (3) years professional experience in technical direction or a related field, knowledge and experience in scenery construction techniques, mechanical design, automation controls, stage rigging, as well as time and materials estimating. Proficiency in AutoCAD, both 2D and 3D applications, and Microsoft Office Suite are required.
To best succeed in this position the Assistant Technical Director will need strong communication and leadership skills, be able to multi-task, be detail oriented, work with a wide variety of people including Goodman staff, designers, IATSE crew members, as well as be a good team member and maintain a positive attitude.
This position is full time and includes a benefits package.
By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Technical design and engineering of scenery and automated effects (including but not limited to winch driven, hydraulic, and pneumatic effects)
- Produce technical and construction drawings using Auto CAD
- Collaborate with designers and production departments to realize each production’s design on-time and within budget
- Assist the Technical Director with production planning which includes time and material estimating, developing build and load-in schedules, project coordination, supervision of scene shop staff, general shop operations, and interdepartmental needs
- Maintain accurate inventory of materials, expendables, stock scenery and soft goods
- Work with the Assistant to the Production Manager in tracking and reconciling purchases and expenses
- Work with the Scene Shop Foreman in the maintenance of the scene shop facility, tools and vehicles
- Lead load-ins and attend technical rehearsals as assigned
- Maintain Quality and Standards of the Goodman Theatre
- Implement Goodman Theatre Health and Safety Policies
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume with three (3) references to: https://www.ikrut.com/microsite/pages/Goodman%20Theatre/default.html
NO CALLS PLEASE - Please indicate in the cover letter how you heard about this position.