Assistant Technical Director
JOB TITLE: Assistant Technical Director
LOCATION: Goodman Theatre and Scene Shop
REPORTING TO: Technical Director
SALARY RANGE: minimum salary of $50,000.00/year
Join the dynamic team of arts professionals at the Goodman Theatre! Chicago’s theater since 1925, Goodman Theatre is a not-for-profit arts and community organization in the heart of the Loop, distinguished by the excellence and scope of its artistic programming and community engagement. The theater’s artistic priorities include new play development (more than 150 world or American premieres), large scale musical theater works and reimagined classics. As a cultural and community organization, Goodman Theatre is committed to using the art of theater for a better Chicago. Using the tools of the theatrical profession, the Goodman’s Education and Engagement programs aim to develop generations of citizens who understand the cultures and stories of diverse voices.
We at Goodman Theatre are storytellers who believe that a diversity of people, ideas and cultures in our organization enriches both the art on stage and our civic engagement. In our workplace, we strive to reflect the communities we serve, and make space in which each individual is empowered to bring their full, authentic self to work. The Goodman values equity, diversity and inclusion and is committed to approaching our work through the practice of anti-racism. The inclusion of difference(s) such as ability, age, background, beliefs, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status and all other identities represented across staff, board, artists and audiences help make us better equipped to live these values—on stage and off. Learn more at GoodmanTheatre.org/Accountability
The Goodman Theatre seeks an Assistant Technical Director to be an integral part of the production staff. This individual will work with directors, designers, and our experienced staff on an eight (8) show season, our annual production of A Christmas Carol, New Stages Festival, special events, and rentals at the Goodman Theatre.
To best succeed in this position the Assistant Technical Director will need strong communication and leadership skills, be able to multi-task, be detail oriented, work with a wide variety of people including Goodman staff, designers, IATSE crew members, as well as be a good team member and maintain a positive attitude.
- Technical design and engineering of scenery and automated effects (including but not limited to winch driven, hydraulic, and pneumatic effects)
- Produce technical and construction drawings using Auto CAD
- Collaborate with designers and production departments to realize each production’s design on-time and within budget
- Assist the Technical Director with production planning which includes time and material estimating, developing build and load-in schedules, project coordination, supervision of scene shop staff, general shop operations, and interdepartmental needs
- Maintain accurate inventory of materials, expendables, stock scenery and soft goods
- Work with the Assistant to the Production Manager in tracking and reconciling purchases and expenses
- Work with the Scene Shop Foreman in the maintenance of the scene shop facility, tools and vehicles
- Lead load-ins and attend technical rehearsals as assigned
- Maintain Quality and Standards of the Goodman Theatre
- Implement Goodman Theatre Health and Safety Policies
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
Applicants should have three (3) years professional experience in technical direction or a related field. Knowledge and experience in scenery construction techniques, mechanical design, automation controls, stage rigging, as well as time and materials estimating are beneficial. Proficiency in AutoCAD, both 2D and 3D applications, and Microsoft Office Suite are required.
Goodman Theatre offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, paid vacation, sick leave, and 401K.
Goodman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. By dedicating itself to three guiding principles—quality, diversity and community— the Goodman Theatre seeks to be the premier cultural organization in Chicago, providing productions and programs that make an essential contribution to the quality of life in our city.
The Goodman requires proof of full vaccination. New employees who are not fully vaccinated as of the date of hire are required to be fully vaccinated within 45 days of hire and provide twice-weekly proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to being fully vaccinated. Further details will be provided upon hire.
The Goodman is an inclusive and accessible employer. Successful candidates will have experience working with diverse groups of people and will demonstrate a deep commitment to advancing equity and inclusion at the Goodman Theatre.