Chicago Artists Coalition helps people connect with opportunities including calls for artists, jobs, grants, and art advising
Assistant Teaching Artists needed for Interdisciplinary programming
Seeking Assistant Teaching Artists for Interdisciplinary programming
- Description: Idea Box Integrated Arts is seeking Teaching Artists with a background and/or interest in work that combines Visual and Performing arts. Examples of previous Idea Box programs include interpreting the work of Shel Silverstein using giant puppets, transforming a wing of a school in to a pop-up museum, and creating choreography for original songs using shadow screens. The ideal candidate has previous experience working with youth and a background in both visual and performing arts, but we will accept candidates with a strong background in a single art form and an interest in learning others. Assistant teaching artists work with small group of students in the classroom to keep students on task and focused on their vision. ATA’s act as the “grown-up hands” for projects that require tools (like tall ladders and box cutters) that are beyond the student’s ability to use safely. ATA’s also assist with “load in” and “load out” for programs, which requires the ability to climb stairs and lift an average of 30-50lbs per load.
- Locations: Programs are primarily in Chicago Public Schools. This is a general hiring for teaching artists to train for school-year programs—placements will occur at a later date once training is complete.
- Applicants must be available to interview on WED, AUG 21 FROM 10AM TO NOON. This will be a 2hr practical interview—participants will learn about Idea Box and our mission then work in teams to create a project using upcycled and recycled supplies.
- If you will not be available for the interviewyou should still submit your materials—it is possible we will schedule a second interview block.
- Class days and times will vary. Our programs tend to be primarily daytime weekday offerings with a few after-school programs.
- Load in/Load out: Large groups of ATA’s will be called for each program for load in/load out dates, even when the ATA is not a regular teacher on that school’s program.
- Student Age Range: We serve students in K through 12 with a concentration on K-8.
- # of Students:Our average class size is the size of CPS classrooms—usually around 30 students.
- Additional information
- If you have an extensive backgound as a teaching artist, as well as specialities in both Visual and Performing arts, please see our Lead Teaching Artist posting.
- Asst. Teaching Artists make between $20-$25 hr. Rate varies by program but is never less than $20/hr
- When a program becomes available, Idea Box teaching artists receive a breakdown (like this one!) regarding the program requirements and pay, and may decide which programs to accept on a case-by-case basis.
- To Apply:
- Application deadline is TH, Aug 15, 2019
- Email applications to: IdeaBoxDirector@gmail.com
- Email addresses/phone numbers for 3 references who can speak to your work with youth.
- In your cover letter include highlights of your previous experience working with youth and any details about your background as an artist/performer that are not immediately obvious by viewing your resume.
- You may choose to include photos of your own or your students’ work (optional)