Assistant Teaching Artist
NORTHLIGHT THEATRE ASSISTANT TEACHING ARTISTWorking under the supervision of the Director of Education and Community Engagement, Education and Community Engagement Manager and assigned Lead Teaching Artist, the Assistant Teaching Artist will act as an assistant and observer for the assigned school and program. Undergrads and recent graduates with an interest in arts education, teaching artistry, and arts integration should apply.
● Work directly with CPS, Evanston, Skokie, and Chicagoland area youth or adult learners in a Northlight residency.
● Mentorship from Northlight Education staff and Lead Teaching Artist.
● Comp tickets for Northlight Theatre productions.
● Potential for one-on-one meetings with selected professionals in Chicago theatre for Q & A and networking.
● Discounts to professional productions in Chicago.
● Invitations to intern networking events hosted by the League of Chicago Theatres.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● 2-3 hours a week during residency, days/times as scheduled (subject to change based on program).
● Assistant teach residency program by providing support in the classroom and planning curriculum with Northlight Teaching Artist.
● Set and track personal goals with your Northlight Lead Teaching Artist.
● Attend Northlight Teaching Artist trainings, as applicable.
● Attend Season Access student matinees at Northlight with your students, if applicable.
Skills & Requirements:
● A knowledge and passion for arts education.
● An interest in working with youth or adult learners.
● Excellent writing and organizational skills.
● Ability to practice patience and flexibility in a classroom environment.
● Ability to work collaboratively, engage in a feedback process, and adjust practice accordingly.
● Access to a reliable internet connection and computer to join virtual classrooms is not necessary, but helpful.
● Access to a car is not necessary, but very helpful.
● Northlight seeks to provide supported programming for all of its students. Those with previous experience with ESL and neurodiverse learners are encouraged to apply. ● Applicants who accept an offer of employment for any position that involves supervising minors will be required to submit to a criminal background check prior to beginning work. These offers of employment are conditioned on receipt of a background check report that is acceptable to Northlight.
● Northlight strongly encourages employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, but does not mandate it as a condition of employment. However, we will ask all employees to verify vaccination status. Knowing our company-wide level of vaccination will enable us to manage any capacity restrictions and address safety requirements mandated by our partner unions, schools, and community partners. In addition, vaccinated individuals may be excused from certain COVID-19 mitigation protocols such as masking when appropriate.
How to Apply: Candidates should send a cover letter and resume with relevant experience and three listed references (can be personal, academic, or professional references) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
● Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
● Priority will be given to applications received by Friday, August 6.
As an equal opportunity employer, Northlight Theatre hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company’s mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, disability, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, partnership status, caregiver status, sexual and reproductive health decisions, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation. Reflecting our commitment to be an inclusive and accessible employer, we welcome applications for all open positions from a diverse applicant pool that reflects our community and programming.
Check out our education programs at northlight.org/education.