Assistant Properties Supervisor
Chicago Shakespeare Theater seeks a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual with strong communication and technical skills to join our Properties department. CST is a world-class theater company producing work of the highest caliber due, in large part, to a supportive team philosophy. The Assistant Properties Supervisor is an integral part of an ambitious program which produces and presents between 12 and 16 productions per season in a 500-seat mainstage, 200-seat black box, a revolutionary new flexible performance space seating up to 850, as well as several touring productions. The Assistant Properties Supervisor will collaborate with professional designers and directors from Chicago and around the world, and will need to work in a fast-paced and interdisciplinary manner to address challenges.
- Assisting with day-to-day direction/ prioritization of the prop shop staff
- Fabricating props for each production.
- Purchasing supplies and props
- Budget tracking on individual projects and across season
- Managing properties stock
Required skills and experience
- Experience as a prop master and a strong awareness of the process of propping a show from start to finish
- Working knowledge of period styles, crafting, soft goods, upholstery, molding and casting, scenic painting, floral arranging, furniture carpentry, and computer skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Excellent shopping and sourcing skills for both finished items and the materials to create them
- Ability to collaborate actively in a team environment
- Ability to apply an artistic eye and sophisticated design principles to prop production.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as the ability to collaborate well with designers.
- Applicant must possess a valid driver’s license.
This position is full time involving up to six days of work per week including nights, weekends, and occasional holidays. Hours will vary based on the needs of each production. Starting-date is based on applicant’s availability but is as soon as possible.
Chicago Shakespeare Theater is an EOE organization. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, protected veteran or disability status or any factor prohibited by law. We strongly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 references via email (with Properties Assistant in the subject line) to firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions should be formatted as .pdf. No phone calls, please.