Assistant Production Manager
POSITION: Assistant Production Manager, Lookingglass Theatre Company
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 33rd Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company's goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
A member of the production team and reporting to the Production Manager, the Assistant Production Manager will collaborate with the Production Manager to manage operations and the administration of all production department activities.
The Assistant Production Manager will be a thoughtful, enthusiastic and detail-oriented spokesperson for the Production department. They will work closely with actors, designers, directors and production staff to create a safe and sustainable work environment and production process.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Collaborate and assist in scheduling, planning, budgeting and financial management, and implementation of all aspects of technical elements for LTC productions
• Attend all production meetings for mainstage performances
• Manage the execution of specialty, inter-departmental production items for mainstage productions
• Oversee morning production work calls during the tech and preview process for mainstage productions and attend technical rehearsals as assigned
• Play a leadership role in creating and maintaining safe and healthy work environment
• On performance days, coordinate schedules with Production Manager to ensure one person is available for on-call emergencies.
• Coordinate production support for non-show activities as assigned
• Hire and Supervise the Floor Manager, Deck Crew and Deck Crew Covers for seasonal productions
• Assist in the generation and distribution for all Production related contracts
• Provide onboarding information to the business office for new hires and assist in the hiring process.
• Manage financial transactions including processing invoices, executing designer/consultant payments and reimbursements and reconciling all production related budget lines
• Manage Production Ventra cards, Lyft and Amazon Prime accounts and production credit cards
• Assist the Production Manager in supporting out of town artists
• Book travel and housing for Lookingglass affiliates as assigned
• Provide support for facilities and vendor appointments as needed
• Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate an anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that it has much to do towards being an anti-racist and a more equitable institution. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company. (https://lookingglasstheatre.org/aeistatement/)
• Demonstrated managerial experience, preferably with a performance-arts organization
• Technical knowledge of performing arts, including drafting, stagecraft, lighting, sound, costumes and safety practices
• Ability to prioritize and offer a high degree of support under dynamic and emergent conditions
• A high degree of initiative, confidence, and energy to achieve and exceed goals
• Strong organizational skills and 360 degree collaboration, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
• An enthusiastic, collaborative mindset for growth and problem solving.
• A desire to learn and implement varying technologies into the production process
• Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to serve as a spokesperson for Production
• Ability to work nights and weekend for technical rehearsals and special events.
• Ability to work remotely for the time being.
COMPENSATION: $37,000- $45,000
• Health Insurance (choice of PPO or HMO; Organization covers the cost of 95% of the HMO plan. If PPO plan is elected, staff member pays the difference between the PPO plan and 95% of the HMO plan. This is reevaluated annually in July with the adoption of the health plan).
• Vision & Rx plan;
• 12 paid holidays (including Juneteenth and Election Day);
• Vacation, Personal, Sick and floating holidays, including birthday.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
To be considered, please send cover letter, resume, and 3 references to Sarah Burnham, Production Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Production Manager Search” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through June 11th, 2021. Anticipated start date is July 5th, 2021. No phone calls please.