Assistant House Manager
Assistant House Manager
On an ongoing basis, Audience Experience at Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the part-time position of Assistant House Manager. Steppenwolf Audience Experience is dedicated to helping everyone coming through our doors feel safe, relaxed and invited. Through presenting an intentional and sincere level of service and hospitality, these positions participate in a team that is committed to cultivating a comfortable and respectful environment that upholds the dignity and experience of our audience, colleagues and guests.
Areas of Responsibility:
- serves as the first point of contact and information for our audience, engaging them as a friendly, courteous, professional representative of the theatre
- Checks and verifies patron IDs and Covid vaccination cards at building entrances
- Sanitizes high touch points in lobby after show has begun
- helps the House Manager monitor and maintain the lobby and theatre spaces (including the elevator lobby and restrooms) for safety, cleanliness, functionality and presentation
- assists patrons with accessibility requirements
- coordinates with the box office to resolve ticketing conflicts
- supervises the lobby and theatre spaces during performances, which includes the accommodation of patrons that have arrived late or left the theatre early for any reason
- serves as in-house supervision in the theater during performances
- communicates via radio with other staff members to convey patron issues and ensure smooth operations
- communicates facilities, patron and safety issues to House Manager for resolution and reporting
Successful candidates will:
- Commit to an equitable work environment, which includes use of gender inclusive language; support for individual gender expression, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration; accessibility for people with disabilities; and cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrate compassion, which includes genuinely caring about colleagues and guests alike; showing sympathy for the plights of others; exhibiting empathy for the experience of everyone in the room.
- Maintain personal composure, which includes demonstrating maturity; remaining cool under pressure; not becoming defensive or irritated when presented with challenging or unexpected situations; handling stress without showing frustration; serving as a settling influence in tense situations.
- Comfortably and effectively cope with change and ambiguity, which includes effectively transitioning between tasks and timelines; identifying priorities and making good decisions with a minimum of information; staying relaxed when things are uncertain; confidently managing risk and uncertainty.
- Exhibit interpersonal savvy, which includes relating comfortably to a variety of personalities; cultivating and maintaining positive relationships; employing diplomacy and tact; defusing high-tension situations; seeking the positive in all situations.
- Prior experience working in a high-volume customer service setting, preferably in a Front of House role.
- Fast, efficient service techniques in peak service times
- A relaxed appearance and tone when interacting with guests and colleagues, which includes maintaining an unhurried pace and level modulation of voice and volume
- Effective, improvisational problem solving in ever-changing situations
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to work 15-25 hours a week
- Consistent availability on evenings and weekends, as well as during holiday seasons
Salary range: $16/hr. Part-time employees are eligible for Steppenwolf's dental plan, as well as vision insurance, a pre-tax Ventra card, and a 401(k) retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and three references by following this link by 11/7.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.