Assistant Director of Programs
Assistant Director of Programs – FULL-TIME
WHO WE ARE
SkyART is a permanent fixture in the vibrant cultural landscape of Chicago's South Side. Founded in 2001 with a mission to provide youth with an accessible, safe place to participate in quality visual arts programs at no cost, SkyART continues to fulfill its mission in South Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods, reaching young people through a rich variety of programs. Driving its mission, is a deep understanding of the transformative power of art and its capacity to enhance intellectual, emotional, and social development. SkyART is a foundation from which creativity grows and individuals flourish. Participants are invited into a world of imaginative possibilities and connections that go beyond the individual, to positively impact all of the communities where we work and the city as a whole.
WHAT WE DO
Through interdisciplinary, process-based projects, skill-building workshops, and large-scale collaborations, SkyART encourages critical thinking and inspires creative expression for youth ages 7 to 24. Using an artist-in-residence model, Teaching Artists work side by side with students, in an atmosphere of mutual esteem and shared curiosity, through our dynamic and experimental new methodology.
HOW YOU CONTRIBUTE
The Assistant Director of Programs (ADP) represents the vision, values, and mission of SkyART internally and externally. The ADP is a member of the senior leadership team and manages three staff. The ADP establishes the organization’s programmatic vision and and strategies in partnership with the Executive Director. The ADP is responsible for ensuring the vibrancy of existing programs and generating new programmatic initiatives. The ADP ensures that the SkyWAY methodology is integrated across studio, school, and community programs by program staff and is upheld across the organization. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
THE ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF PROGRAMS WILL:
OVERSEE EXECUTION OF ALL SKYART PROGRAMS
- Directly manage Studio Program and ensure its successful implementation.
- With support from Program Coordinator, train and develop a strong, consistent cohort of teaching artists for the SkyART Studios, schedule programs and ensure teachers are working in concert to advance the mission of the organization.
- Design and implement teaching artist training, including coaching through goal-setting, curriculum development, and implementation of lesson plans.
- Promote diversity and inclusion across all programs:oversee training to increase cultural sensitivity and understanding of populations served by SkyART.
- Oversee exhibitions, ensuring they reflect the rigor of SkyART Studio programming
MANAGE PROGRAM STAFF
- Oversee department managers to ensure recruitment, training, and relationship development with support staff, teaching artists, and participants in all programs.
- Oversee continuity and evaluation of programs including goal setting and strategies for continuous improvement.
- Steward and oversee organizational partnerships.
- Write, review, and edit program related statements, proposals, and marketing materials; create and oversee implementation of curriculum.
- Represent SkyART at conferences, xfunder visits, and in donor meetings, etc. as requested by ED.
YOUR BACKGROUND INCLUDES:
- Master’s degree in the Art or Child Development preferred
- Minimum of three years as a supervisor; relevant leadership experience in non profit or arts education/advocacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience designing, creating curriculum, and facilitating participatory processes and programs
- Strong project management, research, and organizational capabilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of art and art history
- Ability to work within a small collaborative environment and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work autonomously and make informed, thoughtful decisions
- Bilingual Spanish a plus
WHAT WE OFFER:
SkyART offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive salary commensurate with background, experience, and position responsibilities. Depending on the position, in addition to salary, benefits for eligible employees may include:
- Paid time off (PTO) allowance including two weeks vacation, five personal days, and five sick days per year
- Twelve paid holidays and one additional day off for your birthday
- Employee retirement account with 3% contribution from SkyART
- Health Insurance benefits with minimal cost paid by employee
HOW YOU APPLY
Please submit cover letter with resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ”Assistant Director of Programs” in the subject line. Do not mail or fax.
No telephone inquiries please.