Assistant Director of Finance
Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Assistant Director of Finance serves as a key member of Steppenwolf’s Finance Department. This position participates in all aspects of planning, implementation, and management of Steppenwolf’s financial and regulatory reporting, including budgeting and analysis for the organization and its departments. The Assistant Director must have solid communication, technology, analytical, and management skills. Applicants should have experiencing in the nonprofit industry, and a strong interest in understanding the inner workings of a performing arts organization.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Managing the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for an accurate accounting of business results
- Ensuring that the books are closed, and all transactions are captured on a monthly basis
- Performing a documented review of all journal entries, reconciliations, and schedules prepared by Finance Department staff
- Ensuring that policies and procedures under Steppenwolf’s accounting and internal control systems are followed
- Holding primary responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the general ledger and chart of accounts
Reviewing and approving bi-weekly payroll and payroll tax reporting
- Collaborating with the Development team to make sure all pledges receivable is properly recorded, according to GAAP requirements and analyzing collectability of pledges on a quarterly basis
- Researching any accounting matters related to specific transactions or changes in accounting policy that may arise
- Training, supervising, and coaching the skilled finance staff of 2-3 people
- Monitoring and analyzing weekly cash flows and reporting key metrics, such as accounts payable turnover and working capital usage on a monthly basis
Providing management with information vital to the decision-making process
- Developing and monitoring business performance metrics
- Performing analytical procedures at month-end to identify unusual activity or patterns in transactions raising issue to the Finance Directors as appropriate
- Assessing current accounting operations, offering recommendations for improving and implementing new processes
- Evaluating the effectiveness of accounting software and supporting databases, as needed
- Assisting the Director of Finance with the development and compilation of Steppenwolf’s annual operating budget
Successful candidates will:
- Possess knowledge of all aspects of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and nonprofit reporting regulations,
- Hold a professional accreditation such as certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA) or chartered global management accountant (CGMA), or have previous experience in public accounting or comparable experience
- Have outstanding written and oral communication skills,
- Have significant, demonstrable management experience leading a team of 3 or more,
- Exhibit good judgment and communication skills in dealing with staff and other constituencies,
- Have technological capability, experience, and the ability to quickly learn systems such as with Paycom as payroll processing provider, the Abila MIP Fund Accounting system, and Tessitura’s CRM system,
- Have knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office programs, with deep skills using Excel,
- Possess excellent time management skills,
- Be able to meet deadlines for the monthly reporting cycle and other reporting due dates
- Support the Finance staff in working with departments to meet deadlines for payroll and invoice due dates.
- Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class, and immigrant status
Salary range: $65,000 - $75,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by June 19, 2021.