Assistant, CSO for Kids | Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Send cover letter with salary expectations and resume to HR@cso.org
TITLE: Assistant, CSO for Kids
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Negaunee Music Institute
As the education and community engagement department of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Negaunee Music Institute (NMI) transforms lives through active participation in music. Programming educates audiences, trains young musicians, and serves diverse communities, across Chicago and around the world.
The Assistant, CSO for Kids supports programming that connects children, youth, teachers, and families to the Orchestra. Duties of the Assistant include providing support for an extensive series of educational concerts given at Symphony Center as well as digital offerings online. They also contribute to the creation of learning resources, plan pre-concert activities, assist with school concert ticketing and audience building, and organize education programs in conjunction with the CSOA League.
In addition, the person in this position provides significant administrative support for the CSO-Connect School Partnership Program and contributes to other partnership programs that engage students and teachers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Support general administration and guest artist hospitality for all CSO for Kids concerts (Once Upon a Symphony, School Concerts, Youth Concerts and Family Matinees) and digital projects.
2. Coordinate pre-concert activities for CSO for Kids: Family Matinees.
3. Contribute to the creation and dissemination of learning resources for students and families.
4. Coordinate post-concert surveys and focus groups.
5. Assist with school concert ticketing including promotion and audience building.
6. Build and maintain trusting relationships with school and family constituents.
7. Provide administrative support for the CSO-Connect School Partnership Program
8. Liaise with the CSOA League:
• Coordinate League support of CSO for Kids concerts/pre-concert activities
• Support the CSO Young Artists Competition
• Coordinate Community Open Rehearsals
9. Other duties as assigned.
CSOA is an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. We value diversity and inclusion and seek to build and maintain a community and culture that celebrates and values diverse backgrounds, identities, and perspectives. We consider equivalent combinations of experience and education for jobs, and all candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND KEY CONTACTS
• Reports to Associate Director, CSO for Kids.
• Other contacts include guest conductors and artists, artist managers, CSO and Civic Orchestra musicians, Chicago area teachers, staff from departments across the CSOA, children, families, and Chicago educational and civic leaders.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1. Bachelor’s Degree with formal training in music education and/or performance, or equivalent experience.
2. Two or more years of experience working full-time for a non-profit arts organization.
3. Demonstrated understanding of Chicago school systems and public school music education.
4. Demonstrated experience collaborating with community, social, civic, arts and educational organizations.
5. Excellent written and verbal communication.
6. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
7. Passion for and deep knowledge of symphony orchestras, conductors and repertoire.
8. Computer skills including Microsoft Office suite required.
9. Flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
Pleasant office environment.