Assistant Costume Director | Steppenwolf Theatre Company
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Assistant Costume Director.
The Assistant Costume Director works with the Costume Director and costume shop team to ensure a safe, efficient, and inclusive work environment. As well as act as the assistant costume designer for four productions a season, and mentor the costume shop apprentice/fellow.
This position reports to the Costume Shop Director.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Strong time management and organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Supervisory and management experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft office
- Budget management
- Awareness of current fashion trends as they affect sources available
- Knowledge of safety equipment and standards in a costume shop
- Ability to work with a variety of artists in high pressure situations
- Experience in theatrical costuming techniques
- The ideal candidate will have at least two years of project management experience in costuming. This position reports to the Costume Director.
- Execute designs in collaboration with costume designers and costume team within set budget
- Communicate between the costume shop and other department including stage management, props, and many others
- Lead efforts to maintain a safe workspace including safety walk-thrus and evacuation drills
- Update costume shop paperwork including sources, vendors, & training manuals
- Provide back up and support to the costume director