Assistant Controller - Reporting & Systems
TITLE: Assistant Controller - Reporting & Systems Reviewed: 06/2022
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Responsible for preparation and oversight of internal and external financial statements and other reports and related tax returns. Manage defined benefit pension accounting, audit, and related tax reporting. Responsible for quarterly capital campaign, endowment, and defined benefit pension plan investment reporting and rebalancing. Act as primary Finance contact for Microsoft Business Solutions (MBS) Great Plains and Management Reporter (MR).
CSOA is an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. We value diversity and inclusion and seek to build and maintain a community and culture that celebrates and values diverse backgrounds, identities, and perspectives. We consider equivalent combinations of experience and education for jobs, and all candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Preparation of Forms 990, 990-T, AG990-IL and IL-990-T annual tax returns.
2. Manage preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, balance sheet reconciliations and other internal and external financial reports as requested.
3. Prepare investment activity, fair value measurements plus other footnotes for the annual audit report. Preparation of financial data included in the Annual Report.
4. Manage accounting, financial statement, audit and Form 5500 tax return preparation for two defined benefit plans.
5. Manage and develop direct reports through ongoing evaluation and training.
6. Review and sign check disbursements greater than $1k.
7. Monitor investment activity monthly for four portfolios. Propose rebalancing transactions to satisfy monthly cash needs and asset allocation target maintenance. Prepare various investment reports for the quarterly Investment Committee meetings.
8. Manage preparation of Orchestra Statistical Report (OSR), Cultural Data Project (CDP), and other surveys as requested by government and other reporting agencies.
9. Review and approve entries and reconciliations prepared by General Ledger Manager.
10. Review interfund reconciliations and initiate funds/net assets transfers per quarterly due to/from activity.
11. Oversee maintenance of the general ledger and MR reporting trees, including approval of new account strings.
12. Manage preparation of Form 5500 for group welfare benefit plan and annual Form 720 (PCORI) fee return and payment.
13. Manage maintenance and application of cost allocation methodology. Review and approve final allocations at fiscal yearend.
14. Function as MBS Great Plains and MR primary contact – maintain current operations as system administrator, implement new upgrades/modules and problem resolution.
15. Act as Northern Trust Treasury and Custody Passports Security Administrator. Departmental transaction backup for banking wire transfer & ACH initiation and approval, positive pay uploads and exception resolution as needed.
16. Primary initiator of Trade Order Entry and Web Cash movement transactions in all custody bank accounts.
17. Prepare Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC), Form 8955-SSA and Annual Funding Notices (AFN) reports for two defined benefit pension plans.
18. Perform various short and long term projects as assigned by Controller and VP/Chief Financial Officer.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1. Bachelor Degree in Accounting/Finance area. CPA or MBA strongly preferred.
2. Strong analytical and problem solving skills
3. Proven supervisory and training skills.
4. Working knowledge of Microsoft Great Plains, Word, Excel, and Outlook
5. Minimum of seven years’ experience in audit procedures and controls and external financial statement preparation required.
6. Minimum of two years’ experience in Investment reporting and management experience strongly preferred.
1. Reports to the Controller.
2. Supervises General Ledger Manager.
3. Maintain relationship with Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains and Partner.
4. Maintain other relationships with various banks, auditors, investment advisors and multiple investment managers, consultants, Finance Department personnel, and other departmental CSOA personnel.
Pleasant office environment with opportunity for hybrid in office/remote arrangement on a temporary basis.