Art Teaching Assistant
The 2023/24 Summer & School Year Teaching Assistant Position is a wonderful opportunity for those who love art and enjoy working with children. Preferred applicants have experience in 3 of the following studio arts: drawing, painting, printmaking, collage/mixed media, ceramics, sculpture and fiber arts. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be both caring and comfortable helping children problem solve, in relation to a project or by encouraging pro-social behavior when children experience disagreements. Promoting safety in the art studio and at play (indoors or on the playground), is very important!
Each day, the TA will help to organize and distribute supplies for art projects; work with the Lead Teacher to facilitate a variety of activities with a focus on art; review teacher demonstrated techniques and skills for students who need assistance; help facilitate clean-up; greet parents at child drop off/pick-up; and be willing to assist in other capacities that will facilitate the safe and efficient delivery of the program, including supervision during snack and outdoor/indoor freeplay.
Should the Lead Teacher be absent, the TA will take attendance and follow-up with parents or administrators for any students who are not present and verify their absence. At the request of the Program Director, the TA may also be responsible to lead instruction according to the provided lesson plan or to deliver a prepared back up activity, should the lead teacher be absent. The TA would also be responsible to support substitute staff in the routines of the program.
Summer Location: By Discovery Art Studio, 44 Lake St, Oak Park, IL
Days and Times: Monday through Friday
Summer Program Dates, 7-10 Weeks:
- June 12 - August 18 (10 weeks, no camp July 4) or
- July 3 - August 18 (7 weeks, no camp July 4)
Summer Session (can choose to work either, or possibly both sessions):
- Morning session (8:30am to 12:30pm) or
- Afternoon Session (12:30pm to 4:30 pm)
2023/24 School Year Location Options, Oak Park:
a. By Discovery Studio: 44 Lake
b. Beye Elementary School: 230 N. Cuyler
c. Lincoln Elementary School: 1111 S. Grove
2023/24 School Year Dates:
August 23, 2023 (first day with students) - June 4, 2024 (last day with students) with option to continue for Summer 2024
Art Studio/School Location Days and Times: Everyday, M-F, Part-time: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 2:50 - 6:20pm (3.5 hours per day) Wednesday: 2:20 – 6:20pm (4 hours)
1 . Compensation is $17-18 per hour based on experience
2. Accessible via the CTA Blue line (Lincoln School) and Green Line (Studio & Beye School)
3. Candidates must be willing to submit to a background check and to be First Aid Certified
4. Must be willing to commit to the summer and full school year: June 12, 2023 through June 4, 2024
Work Calendar Notes:
- By Discovery follows the Oak Park District 97 School Calendar. The 2023/24 School Year begins August 23, 2023 and ends June 4, 2024, unless there are school cancellation days added to the calendar
- The position begins June 12th (10 week summer option) with training OR July 3rd (7 week summer option), with training.
- Some holidays, school breaks and no school attendance days are non-work days and compensation is not offered, unless there are scheduled lesson planning days that are mutually agreed upon by the Teaching Artists, Lead Educators, and Program Director.
Thanksgiving: November 22 - 24
Winter Break: December 22 - January 5
Spring Break: March 25 - 29
Qualifications for Both Summer and School Year:
1. Excellent rapport with children (enthusiastic, patient, nurturing, attentive)
2. Strong work ethic (punctual, dedicated, engaged, focused)
3. Successful completion of high school and 2 years college coursework in visual art OR can demonstrate ability in one or more of these areas
4. Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work as part of a team
5. Ability to climb 2 flights of stairs, with frequency, during child pick-up (depending on location)
When applying for this position, please specify:
1. Your availability for summer:
a. 7 weeks or 10 weeks
b. morning or afternoon session or both
2. Preferred Oak Park location for the school year:
a. Studio at 44 Lake
b. Beye Elementary School: 230 N. Cuyler
c. Lincoln Elementary School: 1111 S Grove
Interested individuals may send an email with a resume and cover letter that specifically addresses the ways in which they meet the above qualifications to Jocelyne Adkins, Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Based upon the quality of the responses and the qualifications of the applicant, individuals will be selected to interview.
By Discovery is a program of By Discovery, LLC offering children opportunities for growth and exploration through creative project-based learning in art.
Please visit our website at https://www.bydiscovery.org/ to learn more about our organization.