Art Teacher Assistant
The 2023/24 Summer & School Year Teaching Assistant Position is a wonderful opportunity for those who love art and enjoy working with children. Preferred applicants have experience in 3 of the following studio arts: drawing, painting, printmaking, collage/mixed media, ceramics, sculpture and fiber arts. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be both caring and comfortable helping children problem solve, in relation to a project or by encouraging pro-social behavior when children experience disagreements. Promoting safety in the art studio and at play (indoors or on the playground), is very important!
Each day, the TA will help to organize and distribute supplies for art projects; work with the Lead Teacher to facilitate a variety of activities with a focus on art; review teacher demonstrated techniques and skills for students who need assistance; help facilitate clean-up; greet parents at child drop off/pick-up; and be willing to assist in other capacities that will facilitate the safe and efficient delivery of the program, including supervision during snack and outdoor/indoor freeplay.
Should the Lead Teacher be absent, the TA will take attendance and follow-up with parents or administrators for any students who are not present and verify their absence. At the request of the Program Director, the TA may also be responsible to lead instruction according to the provided lesson plan or to deliver a prepared back up activity, should the lead teacher be absent. The TA would also be responsible to support substitute staff in the routines of the program.
By Discovery Art Studio, 44 Lake St, Oak Park, IL
Summer Program Dates, 7-10 Weeks: July 3 - August 18 (7 weeks, no camp July 4) OR June 12 - August 18 (10 weeks, no camp July 4)
Morning session (8:30am to 12:30pm)
Monday Through Friday
School Year Training begins the week of Aug 14-18 (some flexibility with days and times)
1st day with students: Aug 23
Days and Times, Part-time: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 2:50 - 6:20pm (3.5 hours per day)
Wednesday: 2:20 – 6:20pm (4 hours)
1. Locations: By Discovery's Art Studio; Lincoln and Beye Elementary Schools (both D97) in Oak Park, IL
2. Accessible via the CTA Blue line (Lincoln School) and Green Line (Studio & Beye School)
3. Candidates must be willing to submit to a background check and to be First Aid Certified
4. Must be willing to commit to the summer and full school year: June 12, 2023 through June 4, 2024
Thanksgiving: November 22 - 24 Winter Break: December 22 - January 5
Spring Break: March 25 - 29
Qualifications for Both Summer and School Year:
1. Excellent rapport with children (enthusiastic, patient, nurturing, attentive)
2. Strong work ethic (punctual, dedicated, engaged, focused)
3. Successful completion of high school and 2 years college coursework in visual art OR can demonstrate ability in one or more of these areas
4. Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work as part of a team
5. Ability to climb 2 flights of stairs, with frequency, during child pick-up (depending on location)
Please visit our website at https://www.bydiscovery.org/ to learn more about our organization.
Interested individuals may send an email with a resume and cover letter that specifically addresses the ways in which they meet the above qualifications to Jocelyne Adkins, Program Director, at email@example.com. Based upon the quality of the responses and the qualifications of the applicant, individuals will be selected to interview.
By Discovery is a program of By Discovery, LLC offering children opportunities for growth and exploration through creative project-based learning in art.