By Discovery Teaching Assistant Position
The Teaching Assistant position is a wonderful opportunity for those who love art and enjoy working with children. Preferred applicants have experience in 3 of the following studio arts: drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture and fiber arts. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be both caring and comfortable helping children problem solve, in relation to a project or by encouraging pro-social behavior when children experience disagreements. Promoting safety, especially covid safety protocols in the classroom and at play (indoors or on the playground), is one of the Teaching Assistant’s most important priorities.
Each day, the TA will escort young children from their classroom; supervise the movement of children to outdoor play; supervise snack and children during outdoor play and indoor free play (during inclement weather); help to organize and distribute supplies for certain projects; work with the Program Director to facilitate a variety of activities with a focus on art; demonstrate techniques; teach skills; facilitate clean-up; escort children to parents at child pick-up; and be willing to assist in other capacities that will facilitate the safe and efficient delivery of the program.
Should the Lead Teacher be absent, the TA will take attendance and follow-up with parents or the Lincoln office for any students who are not present and verify their absence. At the request of the Program Director, the TA may also be responsible to lead instruction should the lead teacher be absent and to supervise the substitute teacher. This is contingent upon the substitute's level of experience and familiarity with the By Discovery program.
Days and Times:
Part-time: M: 2:50 - 6:20pm; W: 2:20 – 6:20pm
Optional: 2022 Summer Camp Teaching Assistance, 3 Weeks or more TBD
1. Location is at Lincoln Elementary School in Oak Park, IL
2. Accessible via the CTA Blue line
3. Candidates must be willing to submit to a background check and to be First Aid Certified.
1. Excellent rapport with children (enthusiastic, patient, nurturing, attentive)
2. Strong work ethic (punctual, dedicated, engaged, focused)
3. Successful completion of high school and 2 years college coursework in visual art OR can demonstrate ability in one or more of these areas
4. Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to work as part of a team
5. Ability to climb 2 flights of stairs, with frequency, during child pick-up
Please visit our website at https://www.bydiscovery.org/ to learn more about our organization
Interested individuals may send an email with a resume and cover letter that specifically addresses the ways in which they meet the above qualifications to Jocelyne Adkins, Program Director, at email@example.com. Based upon the quality of the responses and the qualifications of the applicant, individuals will be selected to interview.
By Discovery is a program of By Discovery, LLC and the Lincoln PTO. We offer children opportunities for growth and exploration through creative project-based learning in art.