General Art Instructor
The Elmhurst Art Museum seeks teaching artists or art educators for part-time instruction in our exciting youth and adult studio classes. This is a terrific opportunity for dynamic, high-energy applicants who are experienced in art education, visual art, or museum education. This position is contract-based with an hourly rate commensurate with experience. We currently have openings for Drawing, Pottery, Painting, Cartooning, and Printmaking with both kids/teens/adults. In your application, please specify which course you would be interested in teaching and/or provide us with details of your content area.
The Elmhurst Art Museum is an equal opportunity employer. Located 25 minutes from downtown Chicago by car or train, the Elmhurst Art Museum features rotating contemporary art exhibitions, a rare single-family home designed by Mies van der Rohe, and frequent educational programs. It is a destination for school groups, families, and others interested in enriching their lives through art and design.
- Bachelor's degree in visual arts, art education, museum education, or related field
- Prior experience working with children/teens/adults in formal or informal educational settings
- Class availability Fall 2022: August 22-October 16, 2022
- Each session offered this fall is 8 weeks.
- Winter camp availability: December 26-30, 2022
- Monday-Friday, 9am-3pm
- Knowledge of multiple two-dimensional and three-dimensional art mediums and general studio practices
- Knowledge of content-specific techniques and general studio practices
- A prompt and professional manner
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Hired instructors are subject to background checks prior to the start of a session
- Provides instruction and prepares lesson plans that align with the Education Department’s curriculum initiatives.
- Develop age-appropriate visual arts curriculum
- Facilitate hands-on instruction which engages participants with fun and creative projects from a variety of mediums
- Prepare and organize art materials
- Display a positive and respectful attitude while acting as a role model
- Interact with students and staff in a professional and courteous manner
- Communicate effectively and show integrity as a museum representative
- Follow procedures and expectations as outlines by the Manager of Education and EAM Staff
- Maintaining a positive and safe environment
- Other duties as assigned
This position is contract-based with an hourly rate commensurate with experience. Average range: $18-$25/hour.
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 08/05/2022:
1). A brief cover letter - specifying your content area + preferred age group (kids, teens, adults)
3). 2 to 3 examples of relevant artwork and/or lesson plans in jpeg or pdf format