Art Handler | Tradecraft Crating
Tradecraft Crating seeks an experienced art handler with a minimum of three years of experience to join our growing team. Responsibilities include safe packing, transport, handling and installation of artworks in corporate offices, private residences, galleries, museums, and other exhibit spaces.
- Prep tools and materials for upcoming jobs based on job specifications
- Responsible for the safe transportation of artwork to a job site which includes safely packing and securing artwork in delivery vehicle, loading, unloading and delivering of artwork
- Plan, measure, prepare the exhibit space for the artwork to ensure the safest art installation procedures are put into place and followed. Following proper art handling protocols, handle and install artwork as per job specification or directed by lead on the job site
- Lead smaller jobs
- Interact and work with clients throughout jobs
- Responsible for keeping track of and turning in job sheet, receipts and expenses
- Complete Bills of Lading (BOL) when appropriate
- Under the supervision of the Director of Fine Art Services, assist in warehouse with packing, maintenance, organization and documentation of artwork
- Assist Crating Department with building of crates and packing when needed
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of (3) years of art handling experience in gallery or museum setting
- Forklift certification with (1-2) years’ experience operating a forklift is preferred
- Knowledge of fabrication and carpentry are a plus
- Poses a valid driver’s license, clean driving record and up to date vehicle insurance with ability to drive a van and box truck
- Self-directed with ability to ask for directions when needed
- Solid understanding of best practices for handling, packing, loading, and transporting artwork
- Able to safely operate hand and power tools, woodworking tools, drills, table, band and chop saw
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including the ability to interface with others in a positive, approachable, and professional manner
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position is frequently required to sit and/or stand for an extended period of time. This position is regularly required to lift 50-75 pounds and carry that weight more than 50 feet. Additional physical requirements to include but are not limited to: climbing, pushing/pulling, bending, stooping, and crouching. This position will be required to climb a ladder and work at heights reaching over 3 feet. This position may be required to wear the following protective clothing, gear, equipment and devices which include but are not limited to: dust filter, safety glasses, gloves, hard hat, steel toed boots and fall protection gear.
Part-time hourly position. Salary commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit a resume, three references, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Art Handler Application.”
No phone calls please.