Art Handler | The Conservation Center
The Conservation Center in Chicago is soliciting qualified applicants to join the Company’s Shipping and Transportation Department as an Art Handler. This department provides professional art handling and installation, collection management and storage, packing, and shipping of art and antiques for corporations, institutions, and private clients. The Center will consider both part-time and full-time applicants for the position.
- Responsible for art handling, crating, and storage within a warehouse environment.
- Work closely with registrars, conservators, and sales team during the scheduling, intake, and return of artworks.
- Other duties and projects, as assigned.
- Background in an art-related field preferred.
- 3+ years of preparator, art handling, or art installation experience in a museum, gallery, or similar setting required.
- Must have a willingness to learn about the basics of art conservation processes and be able to work collaboratively with conservation staff to meet project deadlines.
- Must be comfortable in a rapidly moving warehouse environment with the ability to lift 50+ lbs.
- Must be comfortable working onsite to pack or install artworks. *
- Must be comfortable working in art disaster response situations where sites include structures that have suffered fires, floods, and other natural disasters. The resulting environments, while controlled, may have varying degrees of standing water, mold, soot, etc. *
- Ability to travel on short notice for disaster response, including weekend and overnight hours. *
- Proactive in applying new techniques and materials to improve safety for works of art and to carry out specialized tasks more effectively.
- Must be flexible and have the willingness to adapt to project-specific needs on a case-by-case basis.
*Please note that The Center’s top priority is the safety of our employees and their families; companywide policies including social distancing and sanitization are in effect, and employees are provided appropriate PPE. Each onsite opportunity is carefully evaluated by leadership in accordance with rapidly developing guidance from the CDC and local government. Candidates for this position should be committed to following company policies to protect themselves, coworkers, and clients.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Conservation Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to contact email@example.com. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references which illustrate qualifications, along with salary requirements. If applying from outside the US, a US work visa is required before applying.
No phone calls, please.