Appraisal & Research Assistant
About MIR Appraisal Services
MIR Appraisal Services, Inc. has been appraising fine art and personal property since 1994. We are a small, professional fine art and personal property appraisal company with a main office in Chicago, IL and a second location in Burr Ridge, IL. Our clients include religious organizations, insurance agencies, law firms, educational institutions, government organizations, libraries, public parks, and museums & historical societies, as well as the general public.
Appraisal and Research Assistant
MIR Appraisal Services Inc. is seeking a full-time Appraisal and Research Assistant for our small, downtown Chicago office who will provide general administrative support and appraisal research assistance to MIR Appraisal Services, Inc. operations. This individual will have the opportunity to learn and master multiple facets of administration at an art business: answering client inquiries, responding to general correspondence, editing appraisal reports, tracking client property and company inventory, and maintaining our websites and social media accounts.
The Appraisal and Research Assistant should have a background in art and auction management, possess a positive attitude, and be driven to make a difference. We are looking for someone with integrity, honesty, and the ability to take pride in and responsibility for their work. Our small office environment fosters an immersive professional experience where candidates will have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of the art appraisal and advisory process and learn something new every day about art.
The primary responsibilities for the role include:
- General office assistance for downtown location
- Respond to general client inquiries (phone, e-mail, etc.) and process new clients
- Enter client data into the CRM software, PipeDrive
- Scheduling appraisal appointments
- Maintain client files and records
- Direct the company's blog posts, website content, social media outlets, and monthly newsletter on the art market, artists, and appraisal-related topics
- Assist in valuation and background research on appraisal items to a high degree of accuracy
- Assist senior appraiser at On-Site inspections as needed
- Assist in writing and editing appraisal reports
- Conduct valuation phone calls to clients in a knowledgeable and professional manner
- Manage inventory on Artwork Archive
- Manage consignment contracts, coordinate incoming and outgoing personal property and artwork
- Bachelor’s degree in art history or related field, graduate degree a plus
- Cumulative 2-3 or more years of experience in related art field,
- Auction house and appraisal experience strongly desired
- Quick learner, motivated to see results, and dependable
- Interest and knowledge of art market trends
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with clients professionally and confidently
- Excellent writing, proof-reading, and organizational skills
- Experience using CRM Systems, knowledge of PipeDrive a plus
- Experience photographing artwork
- Competency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, photo editing applications, and social media
Benefits: Healthcare and paid vacations are available for full-time employees.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
MIR Appraisal Services, Inc. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All employment decisions and personnel actions at MIR Appraisal Services, Inc. are administered without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
To be considered for the position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org