Administrative & Purchasing Coordinator | Terry Dowd Inc.
Administrative/Accounting & Purchasing Coordinator
Company: Terry Dowd Inc. 2233 S. Throop St, Chicago, IL 60608
Position reports to: Controller
Compensation: Hourly (+ benefits post probationary period)
Status: Full Time, exempt
Since 1978, Terry Dowd Inc. has been handling fine art, artifacts, and antiques; objects that are high in value, fragile and irreplaceable. TDI, is perhaps best known among museums for its superior packing and crating services and its innovative adaptation of commercially available materials that meet conservation standards. Our crating methods have been informed by the research of the Canadian Conservation Institute, and in turn our standards have served as a guide for many institutions. Our clients, including many of the most prestigious museums, private collectors and corporations in the world, regularly contract us for the collection, crating, storage and transport of individual loans or entire exhibits.
The Administrative/Accounting & Purchasing Coordinator plays a vital role in providing clerical duties related to the processing of orders for projects, invoices, and paperwork associated with jobs. The position also serves as one of the primary reception points for new client/new job requests, requiring a diplomatic demeanor and friendly customer-service, as well as a general understanding of TDI services/project needs. The Administrative/Accounting & Purchasing Coordinator helps establish the relationship/experience for these new requests before they are developed further by a Project Manager. The position is an important member of the team for project development. The position helps maintain a log/project tracker of new inquiries, which is updated and maintained as projects develop. Additionally, the position provides all primary purchasing requests for the entire company, both at large/for general operation, and special orders related to specific projects. The position, in tandem with other department coordinators/managers, aids in maintaining inventory/stock of commonly used materials. This position wears many hats and may be tasked with a variety of responsibilities and requests from other team members to provide administrative support as needed, requiring great attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Answer incoming phone calls/emails. Accept and analyze new client/job requests, send RFQ Questionnaires to clients, or compile answers from clients into forms.
- Data entry for Project Tracker/Proposal Log, and provide maintenance for log.
- Administrative support for Project Managers as needed/requested.
- Administrative and accounting duties related to purchasing, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Purchasing, including ordering materials, supplies, and services via phone, email, and online.
- Create Purchasing Orders in Quick Books.
- Maintain master materials inventories with current pricing.
- Accounts Receivable (AR) work including calculating work time and materials from tickets/work orders, preparing and mailing customer invoices, processing payments, answering client inquiries via phone or email.
- Scanning, copying, distributing, and filing daily paperwork and records—assists in record keeping and retrieval.
- Accounts Payable work includes matching vendor invoices to purchase orders, entering vendor invoices, printing checks, and filing paperwork.
- Assist in maintenance and management of company IT services/cloud network; interface with IT support for technical issues.
- Interact positively and communicate diplomatically with a typically educated, professional, and often opinionated customer base and colleagues/vendors.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Strong initiative and worth ethic with flexibility to respond to and take action in changing circumstances, often under pressure. Resourceful.
- Diplomatic demeanor; ability to work in a team format with sensitivity to a variety of personalities or independently with equal production.
- Willing to take on challenges/difficult circumstances; maintains a positive attitude.
- Professional attitude. Able to address conflicts and stressful situations in a professional manner.
- Basic familiarity with art and art terminology preferred.
- Customer service experience and experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in purchasing, minor project management, and basic accounting preferred.
- Experience in data entry preferred.
- Knowledge of basic administrative and clerical duties (computer use, scanner, and copier use, etc.).
- High attention to detail and strong organizational abilities.
- Excellent communication and comprehension skills; able to interpret detailed instructions or descriptions.
- Experience with QuickBooks, Excel, and Microsoft Office preferred.
- Bachelor's decree or equivalent level of education/experience preferred.
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.