Job Title: Accounting Associate
Reports to: President
Employment Status: Half Time – 20 hours
The position is the primary financial support staff member for the organization. Working with the President, this person is responsible for the timely and accurate keeping of all financial records.
Day-to day duties include:
- Maintain the Quickbooks general ledger
- Prepare for and facilitate the annual audit, including gathering and providing non-financial organizational information as needed. Implement any changes required by the auditors pursuant to the audit.
- Acquire W-9 forms from outside contractors and prepare 1099 list for the accountant.
- Communicate with these stakeholders using a customer service-oriented mindset.
- Maintain accounts payable account and issue checks for President to sign.
- Work with other accounting staff to maintain accounts receivable account and report on status on a regular basis to President.
- Keep an organized file of records of all bill payments.
- Reconcile all bank statements monthly. Prepare documents for and manage annual audit internally.
- Assist the President in developing the annual budget.
- Prepare and distribute financial reports to Board Treasurer and committees a week ahead of each BOD meeting. Interface with Board members effectively.
- Process payroll bimonthly for all faculty and staff with assistance from Program Coordinators.
- Acquire W-4 forms for new employees and assist in W-4 updates for existing employees.
- Assist development staff to reconcile accounting and donor database records.
- Assist grant writer in providing financial reports for grants.
- Have a pulse on financial health of the organization.
- Primarily office based but flexible hours.
- Familiarity with accounting practices (e. g. journal entries, correcting monthly reports, etc.) - Prefer Bachelor’s degree in accounting and three years of experience maintaining books for a school or non-profit organization, or Associate’s degree and five years of experience in the same. Understanding of non-profit bookkeeping, audit, payroll.
- Advanced knowledge of and proficiency with Quickbooks online required. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Access and/or extensive knowledge of relational databases and how they work and report data.
- Experience with Quickbooks and Sales Force Integration is a plus but not required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Comfortable using and troubleshooting office equipment.
- Careful attention to detail, enjoys working with lots of detailed data and making sure it is clearly and accurately inputted and reported.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Uncompromising integrity and good moral character. Calm under pressure.
- Self-directed and desire to complete the job at hand.
- Knowledge of paperless office operations preferred.
- Some flexible time required for evening/weekend meetings and special events.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and ability to travel locally.
- Send cover letter and resume to: Allan Dennis at email@example.com. Telephone inquiries are not accepted.
- Applications will be reviewed immediately upon receipt of letter and resume.
- Salary Range: $20,000-$25,000. Competitive benefits package includes Simple Retirement Plan (after 2 years employment) with 3% matching, personal days.
- Hours: Half-time
- Start Date: July 2020
- Reports to: President, Director of Administration
Midwest Young Artists Conservatory is an equal opportunity employer.