826CHI Retail Coordinator
Full Time, 40 hours per week
826CHI is a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. More information can be found at www.826chi.org.
826CHI is a creative organization that highly values collaboration, creative, and strategic thinking. Our work is grounded in goals set by our strategic plan, and put into motion through collaboration. At 826CHI, there is a lot of laughter in the office, and yet we take our work very seriously and operate with a high degree of professionalism. 826CHI staff members work hard, care about the details, and work both independently and as part of a team. Our model is inherently community-based and responds to the history, dynamic, and culture of Chicago.
Commitment to Inclusion
As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826CHI recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive 826 environment in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, English fluency, parental status, military service or disability. We strive to put our values into action through planning, decision making, and community building.
ABOUT THE WICKER PARK SECRET AGENT SUPPLY
The Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply is the storefront and front porch of 826CHI and its mission. It has a not-so-secret mission: to raise awareness for 826CHI and support it financially through sales of unique gifts, books, and writing supplies. All funds raised in the store support the free writing and tutoring services 826CHI provides at its center and throughout Chicago schools. It also helps recruit volunteers, donors, students, and community partners.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Retail Coordinator serves as a welcoming presence to customers of the Secret Agency Supply and guests of 826CHI and supports in sharing the mission and impact of our mission. The Retail Coordinator oversees all aspects of the Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply, including customer service, inventory management, community retail partnerships, and visual merchandising, and supports store volunteer training and coordination. 826CHI is looking for an enthusiastic, committed individual who is carries a passion for retail and customer service and is excited to join a hard-working, mission-driven team that shares a passion for expanding access to creative youth development in Chicago. This position offers the opportunity to become deeply engaged in building community and neighborhood relationships both within and beyond Wicker Park, elevating the voices of our student writers.
The Retail Coordinator contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies and practices that further 826CHI’s capacity to serve its mission through the storefront. This position will make a significant impact on Chicago youth by bolstering organizational stability and communicating our work out to the public in an effective environment for collaboration, and most importantly, expanding the reach of our students’ voices and stories.
Retail Management 80%
- Runs the Wicker Park Secret Agent Supply Co. Tuesday – Saturday.
- Oversee buying, receiving, tracking of store inventory.
- Curating and designing visual merchandising and customer service experience.
- Manage store website and orders.
- Collaborate with the Development and Communications Department for store promotion and advertising through social media, store newsletters and blog, and sales channels.
- Perform opening and closing duties as well as daily functions.
- Follow and develop all store policies and procedures as needed.
- Track annual, monthly, and weekly financial goals.
- Coordinate annual inventory at the close of the fiscal year.
- In collaboration with the Community Engagement Manager, train and support store volunteers.
- Be an active member of the 826 National Store Cohort.
Outreach Coordination 10%
- Coordinate and support attendance of off-site sales and outreach events.
- Partner with Publishing Programs Coordinator to coordinate publication distribution relationships with local stores and libraries.
- Maintain professional memberships and affiliations.
- Design and implement store-themed events and campaigns.
- Assist Executive Director with annual audit process by gathering necessary store-related documents for reporting at the close of each fiscal year.
- Assist Community Engagement Manager with store volunteer data evaluation and collection.
- Complete annual store data collection for 826 National.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working within a retail management capacity.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced organizational skills, resourcefulness, ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks.
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
- Ability to create processes and procedures.
- Experience developing and hosting community or literary events or readings.
- Experience working and actively participating within collaborative environments.
- Experience cultivating community relationships and partnerships.
- Ability to work autonomously – self-starter with excellent initiative.
- Exceptional proficiency with Microsoft, Google, and Apple operating systems and tools.
- Preferred experience with Shopify or other data management and online shopping products.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
All new 826CHI employees are required to be fully vaccinated (2 week following final dosage) by their start date unless they are unable to be vaccinated due to religious and medical reasons. New employees must provide proof of vaccination at the time a candidate accepts the offer (unless pending a second dose) to begin the final hiring and onboarding process.
The Retail Coordinator position is an exempt, full-time position (40 hours per week). The Retail Coordinator reports to the Executive Director.
Salary and Benefits
826CHI is committed to creating an environment that is supportive of learning, growth and staff development. Our investment in staff includes health benefits after 90 days of employment, paid holidays and combined PTO, and retirement plan. The salary range for this position is $38-42k and is commensurate with experience.
826CHI is an equal opportunity employer. 826CHI is committed to building a culturally diverse and pluralistic team. We strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented communities in the education and nonprofit sectors to apply. 826CHI values professional experience and impact and therefore does not require degrees for consideration of employment. To apply, please submit a letter of interest, resume, and list of three professional references to email@example.com. For questions, please call 773.772.8108.
826CHI does not discriminate in hiring. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for this and all posted positions.