2023 -2024 Teaching Artist Open Call | Spudnik Press
Spudnik Press is currently accepting applications for 2023-2024 Teaching Artists in our studio. They will lead core curriculum classes as well as special topic courses at our studio.We are prioritizing the following topics: Letterpress, Intaglio, Relief & Monoprinting, and Book Arts but welcome applications for all of our disciplines.
Teaching Artists will fulfill core educational offerings at Spudnik Press through teaching introductory and advanced classes, private lessons, and have the opportunity to develop unique classes or workshops that build upon their personal artistic practice.
Teaching Artists will accrue experience in teaching varied groups and build on their personal art practice through their full access to Spudnik Press facilities, where they can also be collaborative and make lasting connections within our community.
- Enthusiastic about printmaking and co learning
- Minimum one (1) year teaching experience preferred
- Familiarity with Google Workspace applications
- Located in the Chicago metropolitan area with reliable transportation to and from our studio, located at 1821 W Hubbard.
- Able to commit a minimum of 12 hours per month
- Experience developing and implementing a structured and responsive class curriculum. You can find sample syllabi for core curriculum at Spudnik here
- Self driven, independent work ethic in various printmaking skill sets
- Reliable and committed communicator
- $160 flat rate for one-day workshops (includes an hour of prep work for curriculum building)
- $595 flat rate for 4-week courses (includes three hours of prep work for curriculum building)
- $1155 flat rate for 8-week courses (includes five hours of prep work for curriculum building)
Each class meeting time is 3 hours and meets once per week for multi week classes
PHYSICAL WORK & ENVIRONMENT
Spudnik Press is located in the West Hubbard Lofts at 1821 W Hubbard St, Suite 302 and is wheelchair accessible. Please review our accessibility notice here. We have several printmaking studios which include; Screenprinting, Risography, Letterpress, Relief & Monoprinting, and Intaglio. An ongoing Spudnik equipment list can be found here.
IMPORTANT DATES (TENTATIVE):
- Application Fee: None; Free to apply
- Informational Sessions: 8/15/23 (RSVP here) The session will take place at 6pm via Zoom.
- Deadline To Apply: 8/7/2023 - 8/21/23
- Final Notification: 9/1/23
- Three hour paid orientation: 9/13/23 & 9/14/23
- Classes Begin: Week of 9/18 /23
- Duration: 12 months, with separate contracts for Fall-Winter 2023 (September 2023-February 2024) and Spring-Summer 2024 (March-August 2024)
Submit your cover letter, CV, portfolio with an image list and an example of a previously taught printmaking syllabus to info [@] spudnikpress [dot] org with subject line ‘Teaching Artist Application | 2023-2024 Term’. All application materials should be submitted as one PDF.
[Spudnik Press will not replicate or share your syllabus with the broader public as it remains your intellectual property.]
Portfolio should consist of 5-7 images: Images must not exceed 1MB each. Work should include print-based work and work from the last three years. Please provide title, medium, year of completion, and dimensions for each work in your Image List.
Applications should be submitted by Aug 21, 2023
If you have questions, email us!