The Perspective Gallery Virtual Artist-in-Residence (AIR) Program
The Perspective Gallery Virtual Artist-in-Residence (AIR) Program is aimed at emerging photographers interested in developing new work under the support and mentorship of the Perspective Gallery liaison and Perspective Gallery members. AIR candidates must include a proposal for the work at the time of application. This proposal can be for any photographic project (portraiture, landscape, street, conceptual, documentary, etc.) of the artist’s choosing as long it meets the criteria below. The Perspective Gallery Virtual AIR Program is ‘virtual’ because we do not offer a physical space for the artist to work in, but the AIR program does offer the opportunity to develop work under the umbrella of all other Perspective Gallery resources. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with work to begin upon acceptance into AIR program.
Length: Artist-in-Residence term is 3 months, beginning after acceptance into program
Local: Candidates must reside in local Evanston/Northshore/Chicago area to meet with AIR liaison, participate in critiques and have (if desired) an in-person artist talk.
Mentorship: Regular contact with AIR liaison where the AIR has opportunity to get ongoing feedback on project.
Critiques: At least one critique session with gallery members
Showing work: Online show on PG website and feature on PG website as AIR with gallery of past work
Presenting work: Artist talk (in-person or online) with PG members and members of the public
- Up to 20 images of past work. Can include series, single pieces, long-form projects, etc.
- Current CV or resume
- Three references (including contact information) who can attest to your ability to participate and work within an artistic community. If selected, your references will be contacted by Perspective Gallery during the review process
- Website/Instagram/etc. where your work can be seen
- Personal artist statement detailing where you are as an photographer and how the AIR program can help you grow as an artist
- Project proposal for work to be accomplished during term as AIR. Proposal should be detailed and specific about:
- What project is about and how you will bring that across in your photography
- Why this project is important to you
- Any techniques and processes used
- Timelines for accomplishing work during term as AIR
- A budget of all costs associated with completing the project
Submit application (and any questions) to perspectivegalleryAIR@gmail.com
Upcoming deadline for membership application is:
November 1, 2021