Spring 2024 Artist Residency - $5,000 Stipend
Call for Applications: Artist Residency
Call for applications: Spring 2024 Artist Residency at the IMSS
The selected artist is provided with a $5,000 stipend.
The residency period runs from January 2024 through June 2024. The capstone exhibition schedule is TBD, typically in the Fall of 2024.
Deadline to apply: October 15, 2023
Decisions: December 1, 2023
As artistic practice occupies an increasingly pluralistic field, The International Museum of Surgical Science believes that artists are uniquely equipped to extrapolate on Museum collections in innovative ways and introduce novel perspectives to the institutional depiction of medical history. The IMSS Artist Residency Program provides working artists with:
- Access to the Museum’s extensive collections and archive
- Visibility on the Museum’s website and social media channels
- A month-long capstone Solo Exhibition (or equivalent presentation) at the Museum
The Residency is open to practitioners of any medium. Collaborators may apply but are limited to 1 application as such. Those applying as collaborators are restricted from applying simultaneously as individuals. Applicants must reside in Chicago or surrounding suburbs or plan to reside in Chicago or surrounding suburbs at the time of their residency. The Museum does not cover the cost of travel to or from the city for this Residency and does not furnish a stipend for accommodations. The Museum selects one artist or artistic collaborative per session.
We believe in the power of the arts to build community, inspire social change, and bring fresh perspectives to difficult and complex issues—including issues of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, and sexual orientation. IMSS seeks applications that address these issues.
The International Museum of Surgical Science does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
Individual artists or artist groups are encouraged to apply. Applicant must be a Chicago or Illinois-based resident.
There is a non-refundable $30.00 Application Fee for all applications.
For questions or concerns, contact IMSS Curator Michelle Rinard at email@example.com.
How to Apply
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Applicant Contact Information
- 1-10 Examples of Work in any medium
- Images should be attached in .JPG, .TIFF or .PDF format; time-based media should be attached in .MOV or .MP4 format
- Files should be numbered 1 – 10 and will correspond with a Works List, including titles, medium, etc.
- Multiple images documenting a single work (for performance, installation, etc.) are not to exceed 3 images.
- Time-based media examples, including video, are not to exceed 5 cumulative minutes.
- Writing examples are not to exceed 10 cumulative pages of text.
- Works List
- Works should appear on this list sequentially and correspond numerically with the Examples of Work.
- Each entry on the works list should include a (1) Title, (2) Medium, (3) Year of Production.
- Entries may be accompanied by explanatory/supplemental text not exceeding 50 words per work example.
- C.V. or Resume
- Artist Statement (500 words maximum)
- Residency Statement of Intent (1000 words maximum). The statement must address the following three prompts:
- In what ways would your practice benefit from this Residency? In what ways do you envision access to the Museum’s collection informing your work?
- Are you currently working on a project that you intend to carry through a Residency at the Museum? if not, what kind of project might you undertake as a Resident?
- How do themes of the body, medical history, or health science figure into your practice?
Please send application materials as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Exhibition Application [Last Name]. All documents should be in .pdf format. Please no Google Drive or Word documents.
The $30.00 Application Fee can be paid online using this link: https://imss.company.site/Artist-in-Residence-Application-Fee-p81151724
Please submit all application materials before initiating payment. The application fee must be submitted before the application deadline. This Application Fee is Non-Refundable.