Request For Proposals: Utility Pole Beautification Project
The Ravenswood Community Council, in partnership with the Greater Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce and Special Service Area #31, is seeking proposals from artists to beautify two decommissioned utility poles along Ravenswood Avenue. The goal is to transform these structures and add more public art to the Ravenswood Sculpture Garden. Artists are invited to submit proposals for work on both poles.
Project Background & Site Description
The Ravenswood Sculpture Garden is home to 10 works installed along the historic Ravenswood Industrial Corridor, from Lawrence Ave to Irving Park Rd. Along the west side of the train tracks, between Warner Ave and Belle Plaine Ave, there are two decommissioned utility poles. Transforming these poles provides a unique opportunity to expand the Ravenswood Sculpture Garden on the west side of the tracks, where public way space is limited.
The northern pole is roughly 7ft 10in tall and the southern pole is roughly 7ft 8in tall. Both poles measure 33in in circumference and have uneven or slanted tops. The poles are composed of splitting, weathered wood. Both have a fair amount of staples in them.
- March 27 – RFP Issued
- May 15 – Proposal Submission Deadline
- May 15 – May 30 – Proposal Review Period
- May 31 – Artist Notification
- June 1 – July 31 – Project Review Period
- August 1 – September 5 – Work Period
- September 5 – Project Completion
- September 16 – Ribbon Cutting Celebration at Ravenswood ArtWalk
Request for Proposal
To have your Proposal considered, please submit the following information using this form. All Proposals must include the following documents and information:
- A brief description your Proposal how it meets the Project Expectations.
- A high-quality, full-color rendering of your proposed artwork.
- A Resume/CV for the Proposal’s lead artist(s).
- Examples of previous work, with a focus on murals, sculptures, and other public art.
- Details on your medium, materials, and techniques.
- Details about how your work will be weatherproofed to last as long as possible in the elements.
- A signed copy of the Statement of Understanding (see Page 4 of the RFP).
To be considered, submissions must be received no later than 5:00 PM CDT on Monday, May 15, 2023.