'Queering Americana' Call for Art for The Museum of Americana
Issue 28: “Queering Americana,” work that queers the focus and perception of traditional Americana. For our August (1-31) submission period we are particularly interested in works from queer folks, especially queer BIPOC. We are also interested in reading submissions from non queer identifying folks whose work somehow still queers Americana.
General Guidelines: the museum of americana accepts submissions of original fiction, nonfiction, poetry, book/chapbook reviews, writer interviews, music, and art. We seek work that showcases, examines, or repurposes historical American culture. This is, of course, an enormous and diverse tub of spare parts, and we want to see what you can create. Give us fiction that dramatizes weird old folk songs or steals their characters. Give us love poetry that mixes language cribbed from The Federalist Papers with language from WWII propaganda posters. We want aspects of Americana we may not have even heard of yet.
We seek work that engages with or repurposes the complex cultural history of America. We are particularly interested in work from writers, artists, and musicians who are traditionally marginalized from publishing. Deadline is August 31 2022, there is no fee to apply.
Art submission guidelines:
- A maximum of 10 images per artist or groups.
- Images should be web-ready with a minimum of 72 DPI and saved with the title of works and artist’s name. For videos and large files please include a link to where the work can be viewed online.
- In the body of the email (not as an attachment), include a short work statement that speaks directly to the current issue’s theme, a short bio, and details for each image in the following format:
- Title, Year, Medium/Media, Dimensions, and Image Credit (if applicable)
- Original works only, all mediums are welcome. Artists who are traditionally marginalized from publishing are encouraged to submit.
- Email submissions to: email@example.com
More information at: https://themuseumofamericana.net