The UpBeat Music and Arts Piano Instructor will work with a small team and gain valuable insight into the teaching and mentoring needs at a small and growing nonprofit. The majority of responsibilities will include teaching individual piano lessons and co-teaching a piano-based music curriculum to children ages 5-17, planning and using appropriate instructional and learning strategies, and helping to coordinating and support program activities.
Responsibilities may include
• Teaching theory, technique, performance, and composition in both individual piano and group settings.
• Utilizing exercises and games to help motivate students to learn specific ideas and techniques.
• Conducting ongoing assessments of student achievements through formal and informal testing.
• Helping to apply and enforce student discipline when necessary.
• Assisting to create, organize, and manage daily games, recreation, and team building exercises.
• Participating in planning meetings and contribute towards organizing activities, music curriculum design, and student/parent feedback processes.
• Proficient in music theory and piano performance
• Previous work experience in music education or summer camp is preferred, but not required
• Strong interpersonal, communication, and teaching skills with children
• The ability to work both independently and within a group environment