Open call for Latine visual/physical theatre (PAID)
CLATA AND PHYSICAL THEATER FESTIVAL PRESENT their first SCRATCH NIGHT together AS PART OF THE 6TH DESTINOS CHICAGO INTERNATIONAL LATINO THEATER FESTIVAL.
We are looking for Chicago Latine performers interested in showcasing works in progress focused on visual and physical theatre. For ensembles, it would be acceptable to have non-Latine identified performers so long as the majority of the group is Latine-identified.
This can be clown, dance, burlesque, puppetry, masks, physical theatre, etc...
Scratch Night is a curated works-in-progress contemporary, visual and physical theater showcase that presents five to six 8-10min previews that would benefit from an audience to further their development. Our mission is to expose these new works in progress by Latine artists to Chicago audiences and foster their development.
The show will be held at the Steppenwolf 1700 Theater on Sunday, October 1st, 2023 from 8pm-10pm (1700 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60614) and will be co-curated by Raquel Torre and Physical Theater Festival's very own co-director Alice da Cuhna!
All participating artists will be required to attend a mid-point rehearsal held on Monday, September 18th from 7pm-10pm
Submissions should be:
- 8-10 minutes in length by the time of the show
- An original creation
- Centered around contemporary, visual, and/or physical theater in style
- Able to be transferred artistically and logistically to a fringe-like stage
What you as the artist will receive in perks:
- High quality b-roll video of your performance
- Still photos of your work (in rehearsal and during the performance)- Still photos of your work (during tech)
- An enthusiastic, supportive, and diverse audience excited to witness the growth of your work.
- Direction or feedback at our midpoint rehearsal if required.
- A $200 stipend as a thank you for your performance (total; not per performer)
We would like to feature works currently in the workshopping or rehearsal process. However, if you have a concept you've been wanting to get in front of an audience, we're open to that level of proposal as well.
The submission deadline is September 1st at midnight CST. All performers will be notified of their selection status by September 4th.
PLEASE APPLY HERE: https://docs.google.com/forms/...
Visit these links to find out more about CLATA, Physical Theater Festival and Scratch Night's mission: