Film and Alternative Processes Call for Artists
Cultivate invites submissions from artists engaged in intentional image-making through film and alternative photographic processes. In an age of constant digital practices, we are particularly interested in work exploring analog photography's technical and conceptual underpinnings.
"Analog Realities" is an upcoming exhibition that aims to explore the complexities surrounding the nature of image-making through the lens of analog photography and alternative-style photography.
We are especially interested in how the intentionality of this slower, analog process affects the relationship to the work itself. This complex interplay invites viewers to consider not just what the image shows, but also what it is, thereby enriching our understanding of what an image can be.
We are seeking work that is based in film or alternative-style photography only. These techniques may include, but is not limited to the following techniques -
- Cyanotype on paper or a variety of surfaces
- Wet Plate Collodion
- Salt Printing
- Gum Bichromate
- Lumen Printing
- Polaroid Lifts
- Liquid Emulsion
- Van Dyke Brown
- Bromoil Printing
- Photopolymer Gravure
- Carbon Transfer
- Platinum/Palladium Printing
- Oil Printing
- Tintype (Ferrotype)
While 2D works are a focus, we also encourage interdisciplinary practices that may employ floor or ceiling installations, windows, or leverage the light conditions of our gallery space.
- Artists 18 years and older are eligible to submit.
- Submissions must be original artwork created within the last two years.
- Artwork must not have been previously exhibited at Cultivate Gallery.
- We are particularly interested in 2D works and work that may be displayed or installed on the floor, hung from the ceiling, or utilize natural light.
- The focus is on alternative and film photography techniques. Interdisciplinary practices are welcome.
Number of Works:
Artists may submit up to 5 works for consideration.
- High-resolution digital images (JPEGs preferred) of each piece of work.
- Image list including title, dimensions, medium, and year.
- Artist statement (300-500 words) that articulates your engagement with the medium.
- Current CV or resume.
Submissions are submitted through our Airtable link below.
- October 22 - Call Opens
- November 19 - Call Closes
- December 9 - Artists are Notified
- January 19 - 26 - Artwork is Received at the Gallery
- February 9 - March 29 - 'Analog Realities' Exhibition
- February 9 - Opening Reception
- Optional Zoom Panel Discussion with artists sometime during exhibition
- March 29 - Exhibition Closes
- April 1 - April 12 - Artwork pickup or Shipments out
Cultivate, an artist-run space, is committed to supporting artists. If you are interested learning how we support artists, please visit our website.