Chicago Volunteer Mural Artists Wanted for 2022
We Are Actively Seeking Mural Artists to Transform Our Youth Shelters into Colorful Positive Living Spaces
You can help us make a difference! We are seeking professional artists and art students ages
21 and older who would like to volunteer to paint mini and large murals with our children
(participants) and staff transforming our spaces into colorful positive environments for the
participants to live in. If you are interested in volunteering your time and talent, we have a
variety of mural and mosaic opportunities across Chicago to get involved in. You are welcome
to paint one or more murals across our youth shelter continuum here in Chicago.
Our facility walls are blank canvases where impactful imagery and color can transform children’s lives through
• Design murals for small rooms (9’x12’) to larger rooms (20’x20’)
• Develop innovative mural designs based on your personal artistic style.
• Share your knowledge with the participants and staff at the youth shelter.
• Involve the team of participant apprentices and staff in the:
o Mural design process and approval
o Preparation of priming and painting a space for the bedroom mural makeover
o Painting of the mural.
o Celebration of the completed mural
• We will provide smocks along with all supplies needed to paint the murals.
• Please wear your mural paint clothes when coming to work on the murals
Heartland Human Care Services (HHCS) is the human services company of Heartland Alliance, a human rights organization. HHCS, SAFEty Initiatives, Youth and Residential Services operates 4 youth shelters located across Chicago
for unaccompanied immigrant children who arrive in this country alone. We provide food, clothing, shelter, comfort, schooling, and medical care until we unite them with family or a sponsor living here in the United States. We provide alternative ways for our children (participants) to express themselves through creative means such as
painting murals and other artistic forms of expression.
Alternative Therapies is a vocational arts program where we provide creative artistic opportunities to
our unaccompanied children through mural painting and other creative artistic outlets of expression. Mural
painting is a healing process for many of the children that we care for who have experienced much trauma in
their past. Over the past 2.5 years, we have helped our children express their inner turmoil through creative
vocational art projects. They have painted large 4 community murals and 12 bedrooms under the guidance of
professional artists and the Associate Director of the program. Our facility walls are blank canvases where your
richly colored mural designs can transform children’s lives through artistic expression. Please join our team as a
Volunteer Mural Artist.
How to Apply:
1. Email: Mr. Gyan Samara, MFA, MEd. Associate Director of Alternative Therapies at
2. Please include in the email:
a. Artistic resume and professional resume
b. Any experience working with children and immigrant populations
c. Portfolio by providing 10 images of your latest murals or murals you have assisted in creating.
i. Include title, dimensions, medium, mural location/ address, date started and completed
d. Portfolio of current artwork
e. Professional social media artistic links: Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn
g. Any media postings to artistic achievements.
h. Native language, please include any other languages that you are fluent or semi-fluent
Volunteer Artist Requirements:
1. Must be at least 21 years of age
2. Must have mural painting experience
3. BA, BFA, or MFA desired but not required
4. Able to speak a second language is desired but not required
5. Clearance Checks
a. FBI, State Police, DCFS Child Abuse Clearance background checks
b. DCFS Medical Clearance check
6. Must be fully COVID-19 Vaccinated
7. Complete seven online trainings about our culture and the community we care for.
8. Attend a Volunteer 1-day orientation (We host 1 Volunteer training a month)
Gyan Samara, MFA, MEd
Associate Director of Alternative Therapies
SAFEty Initiative Programs
Heartland Human Care Services a company of Heartland Alliance