CFA: Krasl Art Center Summer Studio Project
Call for Artists: 2021 Outdoor Summer Studio Space
Krasl Art Center seeks an artist to conceptualize, design and fabricate its 2021 Outdoor Summer Studio Space. The Summer Studio is a temporary outdoor site tasked with the dual function of creatively engaging the general public and serving as a classroom for regularly scheduled studio art instruction during the months of June, July and August 2021.
This project is open to artists and designers regardless of whether they have achieved a project of this scope previously. Creativity, vision, competence and drive are key characteristics required for its fulfillment. The goal is to have an artist-envisioned, visually unique and engaging site that is also functional. There is not a mandated theme or use of materials.
- Installation (limited assistance available)
Project Budget: $10,000 all inclusive
- Letters of Interest Due March 15
- Artist Selected March 26
- Project Install May 30 - June 13
Location: East Garden @ Krasl Art Center, 707 Lake Blvd, St. Joseph, MI 49085
- 6 student work-stations that each accommodate 1 household of 1-3 students
- 1 teacher station that can accommodate instructional demonstrations and is visible to the student work-stations
- Secure art supply storage integrated throughout
- Artwork display wall use during in-class sessions
- Shelter from wind, rain and sun
- Ability to safely social distance throughout
Additional spatial allowances:
- Sign-In table; sanitation station, drying rack area, rubbish bins.
- Electric and water access available on-site.
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2021:
- Letter of interest addressing your approach to this project, as well as initial creative concepts (a fully realized design is not expected).
- Qualifications. This may include your educational background, past projects, and relevant online links to websites, social media, etc.
- Images: 5-7 images of projects or artwork with detailed descriptions.
The Outdoor Summer Studio is located in the East Garden.
Krasl Art Center Campus (2019): in these images, artist Peter Krsko’s wood-lathe sculpture Ground Wave is on view in the East Garden. This temporary installation has been removed in preparation for the 2021 Outdoor Summer Studio. In the forefront is Richard Hunt’s permanent welded-steel sculpture Rising Crossing Tides.