Call to Artists: Performances
Call to Artists: Performances
Call for artist proposals: solo or group artist performances
Theme: Artistic practice at the intersection of health, medicine, & the body // house history & place
Selected artists are provided with a $750 stipend. Up to 20 proposals may be selected for the 2024 season.
Performance dates within January 1, 2024 - December 31, 2024
Deadline to apply: Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis
The International Museum of Surgical Science supports a commitment to contemporary art and artists through exhibitions and programs that use the frame of contemporary artistic practice to examine new perspectives in medical and surgical science and our relationship to the body.
The Museum continuously seeks artist performance proposals for its contemporary art program, which addresses the themes of anatomy, the body, disease, wellness, disability, surgery, and other medical subjects and specializations. In addition to medical history, we accept applications that relate to the architecture of the building and the history of the Eleanor Robinson Countiss home. Performing artists can be within the category of visual art, poetry, music, and experimental, among others.
We believe in the power of the arts to build community, inspire social change, and bring fresh perspectives to difficult and complex issues—including issues of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity, and sexual orientation. IMSS seeks applications that address these issues.
The International Museum of Surgical Science does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
Individual artists or artist groups are encouraged to apply. Applicant must be a Chicago or Illinois-based resident.
How to Apply
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Applicant Contact Information
- 1-10 Examples of Work in any medium
- Images should be attached in .JPG, .TIFF or .PDF format; time-based media should be attached in .MOV or .MP4 format
- Files should be numbered 1 – 10 and will correspond with a Works List, including titles, medium, etc.
- Multiple images documenting a single work (for performance, installation, etc.) are not to exceed three images.
- Time-based media examples, including video, are not to exceed five cumulative minutes.
- Writing examples are not to exceed ten cumulative pages of text.
- Works List
- Works should appear on this list sequentially and correspond numerically with the Examples of Work.
- Each entry on the works list should include a (1) Title, (2) Medium, and (3) Year of Production.
- Entries may be accompanied by explanatory/supplemental text not exceeding 50 words per work example.
- C.V. or Resume
- Artist Statement (500 words maximum)
- Statement of Intent
- A statement of intent or proposal of performance to be done at the Museum.
Please send application materials as attachments to email@example.com with the subject line: Performance Application [Last Name]. All supporting documents aside from work samples should be in .pdf format. Please no Google Drive or Word documents.
For questions or concerns, contact IMSS Curator Michelle Rinard at firstname.lastname@example.org.