Call for Work: 2021 Survey Exhibition of Contemporary Art by Post-9/11 U.S. Military Veteran Artists
Opening in September 2021 at the National Veterans Art Museum, Chicago, IL, the 2021 Survey Exhibition will showcase artwork created by practicing Post-9/11 veteran artists with diverse prior military service experiences.
The theme for the exhibition is art and service, and how these two worlds conflate within the Post-9/11 veteran artist’s practice and work.
Submitting artists are challenged to translate the theme into visual representations. Artwork that exemplifies the diversity and multitude of perspectives within the veteran artist community and/or challenges the notion of the military as an art-less space, or one exclusive to art for therapy, will be given preference.
Purpose and Goals:
The exhibition has three related goals:
• To provide increased access to the artwork of contemporary Post-9/11 veteran artists through its public display; and
• To build public education and community throughout its presentation; and
• To contribute to the discourse and art history on contemporary Post-9/11 veteran art.
The museum will advertise and promote the exhibit, host a formal opening reception, and implement educational and community-building programs throughout the exhibition run.
• This call is open to U.S. Military veteran artists nationwide, both emerging and established.
• Free to submit.
• Each artist may submit up to five pieces.
• All mediums accepted.
• Work must not have been exhibited at the NVAM within the last three years.
• Accepted work must be wired and ready to hang or install.
Selection Process and Schedule:
Deadline to Submit: March 20, 2021
Preliminary Review by NVAM: March 22, 2021
Notification of Artists to Exhibit: March 29, 2021
Installation: August 2021
Art Reception/Dedication: September 2021
1. A short cover letter with a brief description of your work and how it fits the exhibition theme.
2. A copy of your DD-214.
3. An artist statement of up to 500 words.
4. A copy of your current resume or CV.
5. Digital images of up to five individual works of art proposed for exhibition. Recommended image size is between 500-800kb, 200 dpi. If proposing new work (yet to be completed) please provide samples of past work that best represents the proposed new work.
6. Image identification list for each digital image provided. The list should include: Title, Date, one to two sentence description, Medium, Dimensions (*framed), and approximate weights for each work of art. *We require that all flatworks be framed. If financial assistance is necessary to provide frames, please note that in your cover letter.
7. A link to your website or online portfolio.
8. If you require these application materials to be returned, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with enough postage to accommodate the return of the items.
9. All mailed application materials shall be sent to Megan Owoc, Collection and Exhibitions Manager, National Veterans Art Museum, 4041 N. Milwaukee, Flr. 2, Chicago, IL 60641. Emailed application materials can be sent to email@example.com.