Call for Directors and Writers for The Whiskey Radio Hour
We’re looking for writers to create original ten-minute radio plays and directors willing to tackle them.
We are currently taking writer and director submissions for Episode 23 of the Whiskey Radio Hour, which will be on Wednesday, March 9 at Chief O'Neill’s Pub and Restaurant. All submissions are due by Friday, February 4 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Guidelines for Directors
- You and your cast MUST be available for a rehearsal with the Whiskey Radio Band on Sunday, March 6 at Oomphotography (4700 N Sacramento). At this rehearsal, our talented Foley artist will work with you and the rest of the band to integrate the Foley cues (which will be performed live) into your show.
- Due to all of the sound cues being performed live, no digital recordings can be used during the performance. You will be asked to create a Foley cue sheet to communicate your sound needs to our Foley person. (And think big—we’ve done everything from a train going by to covers of The Smiths.)
- There is no space for large physical objects on the stage. Likewise, the turnover time between radio pieces is extremely small—around thirty seconds. Therefore, setup time must be kept to an absolute minimum.
- A maximum of four actors can be on stage for each play. If your play requires more characters, you’re welcome to double cast or come up with a creative solution.
- The Whiskey Rebellion will provide up to four music stands for your actors’ scripts. They can be on book.
- Each episode of the Whiskey Radio Hour is recorded, and then put on the internet for anyone to download free of charge. To check out past episodes, visit our bandcamp page: https://thewhiskeyrebelliontheatre.bandcamp.com/
Submission Guidelines for Writers
NOTE: At present, we are only accepting new radio play submissions from persons of color, female-identifying and/or nonbinary playwrights.
Kindly email email@example.com with your complete script (in either .doc or .pdf format) by Friday, February 4.
- Only complete scripts will be considered.
- Your play should be around ten minutes long (so read your play out loud before you submit!)
- Your play can be in any genre you like, but try to engage the radio play format in some way.
- Due to space constraints, up to four actors can perform in each radio play. Therefore, actors will play multiple roles if there are more than four characters in your piece.
- Each writer can submit up to two radio plays per Radio Hour.
- Each episode of the Whiskey Radio Hour is recorded, and then put on the internet for anyone to download free of charge. To check out past episodes, visit our bandcamp page.
If you’re interested in the correct format of a radio play, the BBC has a handy guide here: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbcradioscene.pdf