Inviting artists to live and create at Allerton Park and Retreat Center will recreate the intimate experience Robert Allerton provided his guests. Residencies of two to six weeks will allow uninterrupted time for artists to explore their ideas, immerse themselves in the serene surroundings of the Park, and engage with our central Illinois communities.
Sculptors, photographers, painters, printmakers, installation artists, videographers, sound artists, writers and poets, performing artists, and more are invited to apply to live onsite and create site-inspired artwork, temporary installations, or performance projects.
Allerton will provide:
- Comfortable living accommodations for a 2-6 week residency (duration to be proposed by artist upon application)
- $1,200 stipend
- Private lodging, access to laundry facilities, small indoor studio space, and full access to outdoor space at Allerton (Find details about available space here.)
- Marketing to promote work and engagement activities
- Limited assistance from staff
Artist will be responsible for:
- All needed materials, tools, equipment, etc.
- All food and drink
- Transportation to/from/around Allerton
- Donating a mutually agreed upon work of art intended to further engage visitors once the residency is done
- Participation in a minimum of one mutually agreed upon public engagement program that involves the public in their work and process (i.e., community projects, lectures, demonstrations, learning experiences, workshops, etc.)