2021 APL/CSRPC (UChicago Arts) Artist-in-Residence Open Call
Arts + Public Life and the Center for the Study of Race, Politics & Culture at the University of Chicago invite applications for their joint 2021 Artist-in-Residence Program (Jan 11, 2021–Oct 8, 2021).
About the program
Artists applying for the program should have a demonstrated history of rooting their practice in community engagement. The Artist-in-Residence program is typified by active immersion in public-facing aspects of Arts + Public Life and the Center for the Study of Race Politics and Culture. During the ten months, artists are often present leading public workshops, programs, artists talks, and hosting studio visits, dinners, screenings, and/or readings. Applicants cannot be enrolled in a graduate or undergraduate program at the time of the residency. The artist residency is for individual Chicago-based artists, with a preference given to artistic practices which:
- Examine themes relevant to South Side communities both on and off University of Chicago’s Hyde Park campus
- Encourage open, ongoing, and active community participation
- Explore dimensions of race and ethnicity --expansive cultural implications and quotidian individual experiences
- Privilege research methodologies as an integral part of the creative process
- Deepen understandings of the interconnectedness of race, power, class, gender, ability, and sexuality in our lives
(2) Artists will receive:
- Access to library at the University of Chicago
- $1,000 monthly stipend
- Studio space at the Arts Incubator in Washington Park
- Budget for materials
- Access to university faculty, students, and staff
- Support for a final exhibition or culminating program at the Arts Incubator in the fall of 2021
- Studio visits--organized and informal
What you need to apply:
- Curriculum vitae or résumé
- Completed online application
- Work samples
- List of three professional references with contact information
- Apply via the UChicago Arts SlideRoom page at uchicago.slideroom.com.
- Applications must be submitted through the UChicago Arts SlideRoom page by the deadline specified above.
- To submit a proposal, create a SlideRoom account, click on “2021 APL/CSRPC Artist-in-Residence Program,” and complete the application.
- Supporting materials (photography, music, video, etc.) should be uploaded along with the application in your SlideRoom submission.
- Please note that only those applications submitted through SlideRoom will be considered for the residency.