Applications for the 2018-2019 FIELD/WORK Residency are open until September 7, 2018 on Slideroom.com.
Ethos & Curriculum Design
The FIELD/WORK Residency program is designed for artists from all disciplines who are at a point in their careers such that they are motivated to commit to six focused months of professional development education and experimentation in order to identify and achieve short-term goals and long-term visions for career growth. Drawing from a series of workshops, readings, consultations, assignments, and individualized support, a highly personalized Artist Plan guides the curriculum's structure. Residents participate in a continuous feedback loop with mentor artists, professionals from the field, and one another to support the evolution of each other’s strategic approach to career development.
- Saturday, October 13 | 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Retreat #1: From Dreaming to Designing: Resident Artist Talks, Values Assessment + Goal Setting
- Tuesday, October 16 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Artist Business Models (FIELD/WORK Core Curriculum)
- Tuesday, October 30 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Understanding Philanthropy + Crafting a Winning Proposal (FIELD/WORK Core Curriculum
- Tuesday, November 13 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Sonnenzimmer Studio Visit + The Creative Canvas
- Tuesday, November 27 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Storytelling with a Purpose: Public Relations for Artists (FIELD/WORK Core Curriculum)
- Tuesday, December 18 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Mock Proposal Feedback Panels
- Saturday, January 12 | 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Retreat #2: Failure Immunity + Building a Sustainable Life in the Arts
- Tuesday, January 22 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Financial Strategies for Creative Careers (FIELD/WORK Core Curriculum)
- Tuesday, February 5 | 6 - 8:30pm
- Connecting with an Audience + Community of Support for Your Practice (FIELD/WORK Core Curriculum)
- Tuesday, February 19 | 6 - 8:30pm
- Working Session TBD
- Tuesday, March 5 | 6:00 - 8:30pm
- Know Your Rights: A Legal Toolkit for Cultural Producers (FIELD/WORK Core Curriculum)
- Saturday, March 23 | 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Retreat #3: Artist Plan Feedback + Next Steps
- Develop vital business and creative skills for the world of artists’ professional practice today
- Create a personalized Artist Plan designed to help residents identify and achieve professional goals
- Build a supportive community among peers and professionals in the field
- Receive feedback and practical advice from mentor artists and other innovative thinkers
- Prepare a suite of professional application materials that can be used for various opportunities
- Devote time to introspection about the future of one’s professional practice
- Access educational resources and reading materials on entrepreneurial skills and special topics
FIELD/WORK Residency applications will be evaluated by a jury of Artist Mentors, Guests, and CAC’s Director of Education.
Artists from all disciplines and points in career growth from emerging to mid-career are encouraged to apply. The unifying factor is the desire to make a big leap forward, the motivation and commitment to do the work, interest in being an active participant in a supportive community, and an enthusiasm for the process.
CAC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, color, sex, age, veteran status, or disability.
Tuition is $60 per month, totaling $360 per resident for the entire program.
Selected applicants must sign a contract and provide the first month's tuition by October 1, 2018 in order to participate.
To be considered eligible, applicants must:
- Reside in the Chicago area during the residency.
- NOT be currently enrolled in a degree-granting program or its equivalent.
- NOT be a current BOLT Residency or HATCH Projects resident.
- Complete the FIELD/WORK Residency online application (including CV/Resume and work samples) at Slideroom.com by September 7, 2018 at 11:59pm.
- Pay a non-refundable $5 application fee.
- Be able to attend all meetings except for cases of illness or emergency.
Important Dates for 2018
- July 24: Application opens on Slideroom.com
- August 27: FIELD/WORK Residency Info Session at CAC from 6:00 - 7:00pm
- September 7: Application deadline on Slideroom.com at 11:59 pm
- September 21-26: Selected applicants notified via email
- October 1: Signed contract and security deposit due
- October 13: FIELD/WORK Residency begins
For more Information:
Contact Penny Duff, Director of Education, at email@example.com.